Cabbage

• 4 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Cabbage
« on: August 10, 2014, 09:28 »
So after being on honeymoon for 3 weeks I have returned to timidly inspect the plot. Weeds have taken a massive  hold and I will have lots to do to get it into shape but that's fine as the plants are still generally doing well and I had a huge harvest yesterday.

I am a bit puzzled by my hispi cabbages though. When I left they were just starting to form heads so thought they would be great when I got back... But they have all gone brown and rotten looking? I can see they have been nibbled a bit by slugs but would this make them go brown and rotten? The red kalibos cabbage and swede in the same bed are fine. They are all protected by debris netting...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Cabbage
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 09:33 »
They're really a quick early summer type cabbage, and don't hold long once the heads have formed. Then they split and the rain and bugs/slugs get in and they start to rot  :(

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 09:45 »
Ah, ok that makes sense as it does look as if they have split! I have only lost those cabbages, the measly few carrots that were starting to poke up when I left (slugs I think) and all my tomatoes (blight).

Everything else is doing well so I'm pleased - harvested raspberries, blackberries, kohl rabi, cauliflower, rhubarb, beetroot and sweetcorn yesterday I also have 2 giant 'marrows' and lots of runner beans to use up though....

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 10:04 »
That's not a bad result for 3 weeks away  :)   Congrats as well on your marriage :D

My Kalibos fell to prey to slugs this year.  They are a lovely cabbage, so look forward to them  ;)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 10:14 »
Thanks. I grew kalibos last year and was really pleased with them. I made some lovely stewed cabbage with them and have had lots of repeat orders for this year!

xx
sowing winter cabbage [spring cabbage ]

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 27, 2017, 16:46
by Aidy
xx
white cabbage and red cabbage?

Started by mandycharlie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 27, 2007, 20:04
by muntjac
xx
cabbage

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 26, 2016, 17:16
by BabbyAnn
xx
Which Cabbage?

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 21, 2012, 23:31
by Elaine G

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 40 queries.