Clearing grass paths

• 15 Replies

HLS

• Experienced Member
Clearing grass paths
« on: May 20, 2009, 11:03 »
As I didn't have as much time to dig my allotment last Winter as I'd hoped, for this year I'm just using the beds as left by the previous tenant.  Unfortunately this means that a large proportion of my small plot is taken up by 'grass' paths, which are doing a grand job of both wasting land and keeping the weeds going.  I put 'grass' in inverted commas there because I took a good look at them when I was cutting the longest bits yesterday and I reckon that although there may possibly be a minute amount of ordinary grass there, most of it is made up of a grand collection of horrible perennial weeds: they really are mostly made of couch grass, docks, dandelions, creeping buttercup and the dreaded horsetail.

Clearly, they've got to go, but what should my strategy be?  I'd prefer to sort them out in small sections (because compacted clay with lots of roots in is hard work!) but I don't want to damage the plants that are in the beds.  The options I can think of are:

- Skim off the top as best I can and bury it.  I'm guessing this would have no effect on the weeds, though.
- Skim off the top, try to remove the earth from the mass of roots (not sure how - it's pretty heavy clay), and dispose of them.
- Skim off the top, stack turves in a pile.  I tried to do this with one path this year and have managed to create a mound of healthy couch grass, even with the bit that was under supposedly weedproof membrane.
- Glyphosate, then dig over.  I'd rather not use weedkiller unless I have to, and I'm worried about accidentally killing my veg, though.

Any advice?

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
Re: Clearing grass paths
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 11:24 »
I have grass paths and find them useful. They are a good base for worms and, as I mow it once a week in the summer, a source of mulch for my spuds helping to keep the weeds down. Why not glyphosate the lot and reseed it in a few weeks?

Aelf
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

diggerjoe

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 11:47 »
We have grass paths between each plot that we have to keep cut which is fine as long as you have good neigbours ::) but on my plot I had grass paths across the plot the first year and this year digging them up to make new beds was like shifting concrete. This year I've made new paths that I keep clear by a quick hoe and so far its working. Lots of plots here dont have paths. Some  say it uses growing room but I am a bit unsteady on my feet at times and I find them useful.

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 12:18 »
These grass paths aren't terribly useful - for a start, I've only got a quarter plot so space is at a premium and the paths are pretty wide (2-3ft), and for another, at least one isn't so much 'path' as '2ft of unnecessary grass between the bed and the communal path'.  I can see the use of having grass as opposed to trodden earth, but these are just too big and too weedy as they are.  I hadn't thought about resowing with something a bit less invasive, but presumably I wouldn't be able to use the paths while the grass was growing.

I must say glyphosate is tempting when I think of how much effort will be needed to turn at least some of the path area into usable soil! 

RichardA

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 12:58 »
Skim and stack, dig soil left exposed and plant. Next year use stack as top soil. DO NOT dig grass in -- all you will do is give the weeds a good base to grow from. Belive me I know
R

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 13:08 »
Skimming and stacking is a good way but on a tiny plot you find it takes up quit a lot of space for the stack and it would talke a year to 18 months to rot it down :(

I would glyphosate and once the weeds are dead I'd cover the paths with black polythene or weed supressant mat to prevent annual weed growth.  Then gradually uncover and dig as you have time and energy.

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 13:42 »
I hadn't thought of covering the paths with membrane until I can dig - that sounds like a workable plan, thanks!  How would you recommend holding it down?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 13:45 »
I'd make some big staples from old wire cloths hangers (or similar sized wire)

vortex444

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 13:51 »
yeah pour weed killer over it like my neighbour did on are shared path....

now so far i have lost most of my onions and shallotts where he just let it overblow onto my allotment.......
I love weedkiller its brilliant................ :tongue2:
I thought life was all rush then i got a allotment and i now love to just relax

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 13:58 »
Anything is dangerous if used by a fool v...444  ::)

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 14:10 »
Thanks, Aunt Sally - that sounds like just the thing. 

Vortex444, if i do use weedkiller I'm going to be very very careful.  On that subject, has anyone got any tips for making sure I only kill the things I want to?

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 14:34 »
I have grass paths and find them useful. They are a good base for worms and, as I mow it once a week in the summer, a source of mulch for my spuds helping to keep the weeds down. Why not glyphosate the lot and reseed it in a few weeks?

Aelf

ditto :)

Brambles

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 14:43 »
I would suggest maybe a large sheet of cardboard (or similar) as a wall between spraying area and veggie area, if you are really careful and take your time doing it, it should work :unsure:

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 17:23 »
spray real close to the ground on a still, dry day. The cardboard is a good idea too.

Aelf

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 17:24 »
If you put the fabric down, you won't need the weedkiller. It might be ok if it only killed weeds, or even if it only killed plants, but it kills more than that, despite what people will tell you.

xx
grass paths

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 09, 2011, 16:15
by sunshineband
xx
Grass paths or membrane

Started by SusieB on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 11, 2015, 10:04
by Kristen
xx
Grass Paths and Weeds

Started by GardenShed on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 16, 2014, 13:14
by Ma Lowe
xx
Grass paths. Good or bad idea?

Started by theakston_uk on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 08, 2010, 12:53
by Ivah

Page created in 0.49 seconds with 39 queries.