Clearing grass to plant up cabbages

• 4 Replies

missmoneypenny

Clearing grass to plant up cabbages
« on: March 26, 2024, 17:13 »
When we got the plot, Mr Moneypenny covered 1/5 of it in lawn, then promptly lost interest. 12 years on I want to reclaim some of it for veg growing. About 8 weeks ago I covered a patch of grass in cardboard and black fabric. Peering underneath, the grass is now looking encouragingly  yellow and sparse. If I dig in this week, would it be ok to plant cabbages there say in late May? Thanks for any opinions.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: Clearing grass to plant up cabbages
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 22:55 »
I think if it is merely yellow, you would be surprised at how quickly it will become green again if uncovered.  Most likely, just a few days.

IMO, if you are planning to plant in late May, I would leave the area covered until just before that planting time, till in, then plant.  By then, hopefully the remaining grass will be definitively brown and hopefully completely dead.  Other members more local to you might have a different perspective.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2024, 07:03 »
depending on area size perhaps you could remove membrane then spread compost and or manure over cardboard then plant in this a bit like a new no dig bed  [charles dowding] we have just done this on part of our lawn next to original raised beds now planted up with peas yesterday.  good luck.
from bow like to grow

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2024, 08:17 »
I’d save yourself some work & just make sure your cardboard is overlapped well & plant your brassicas through it & if you don’t mind making holes in the membrane cut holes through & plant through that too, by next year it will be lovely, but a layer of well rotted mulch on top of you cardboard will improve it all no end, you’ll then only have the holes through the membrane to keep a check on for grass weeds etc.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

missmoneypenny

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2024, 15:41 »
Thanks everyone I hadn’t t seen your replies , I was at the allotment this morning and have turned half of the soil over ( burying the grass plants upside down as I went) , then re- covered with card and black membrane. My back prevented me from doing the lot in one go, I should have it finished by Monday.
I like the idea of adding compost on top though and will aim to do that before the cabbages go in in May.

xx
Clearing flattened grass?

Started by bashful_badger on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 19:32
by Poolfield2
xx
Clearing grass paths

Started by HLS on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 19:19
by Yorkie
xx
Clearing the old Couch Grass

Started by digger123 on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 01, 2010, 18:40
by JayG
xx
Clearing Grass-Best Tool For The Job?

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 16, 2011, 13:38
by Stevens706

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 43 queries.