New to this and need some help

• 4 Replies

Gumbo

New to this and need some help
« on: June 10, 2009, 11:58 »
Hi all.

I am new to this game, I found this web site and have been lurking for a couple of weeks now.  Have to say that I find it really useful and learnt a lot so thanks.

I have 4 chicks, about 6 weeks old now and they are all doing well but a friend said to me the other day that I need to get their injections sorted out???

Can someone please tell me what these injections are for and does everyone on here do their chucks?

Kate and her Ducks

Re: New to this and need some help
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 12:09 »
Most immunisations are actually administered in their water and from day old so a bit late! That being said it is really only the big commercial hatcheries that vaccinate from what I hear. Most of us here don't and there is usually not much indication in a few back yard chickens kept a low stocking density,

I have never vacinated any of my ducklings.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 12:44 »
most vaccines come in 1000 doses, so a bit of a waste when you've only got a few chicks. I did my last lot of Babcocks as we had 300, but when I mentioned it to people, nobody seemed bothered whether they were vaccinated or not!  But like Kate says backyard chooks well looked after don't often suffer with anything.

Also, the only 2 of chickenlady's chooks who got mycoplasma and died, were 2 of those vaccinated Babcock's, so it didn't help them did it? It may have hit them hard because they were still young.  Only just started laying too!!!!   :(

Now we are giong to start hatching our own chicks though, I will begin to vaccinate them, especially against Mareks, but I'm still gathering info on this at the moment.

Good luck with them!

Gumbo

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 09:55 »
Many thanks.
Just finding out what a great time waster they are.

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 11:27 »
I have never vaccinated any of mine.

Michelle
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 30 queries.