Transporting Horse Manure - advice please!

• 13 Replies

Paulj

• Experienced Member
Transporting Horse Manure - advice please!
« on: January 19, 2012, 15:36 »
I hope this isn't too silly a question.

I don't have or have access to a trailer or van and hiring would be silly as it would be cheaper to pay for rotted manure.

What is the best way of transporting horse manure in my car.  I have a pretty big boot but don't want things to become too messy!  I have access to several stables in my area and all have said that I can go to pick up for free whenever I like, but I'm just not sure of the best way to collect it - bags? if so what sort and is there anything I can get cheap enough that I can use time and time again for future trips?  Obviously I would line my car boot entirely!

bazh

• Experienced Member
Re: Transporting Horse Manure - advice please!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 15:41 »
Try rubble bags you can always fold over the top and seal with tape.
Faff free zone!

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 15:46 »
Just to add if it's well rotted it won't smell so no need to seal them up, I use rubble bags when I collect well rotted, we can get it delivered by trailer for a fiver a load but it's only a couple of months old so ok to store. A pack of 10 rubble bags will set you back about 4 quid and there re-usable.

Paulj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 16:06 »
Thanks.  Didn't think of rubble bags.  I guess as long as I'm careful with my shovel I shouldn't have any issues with splitting bags.

If it is fresher than I think it is, will it be ok to put down on my allotment now?  I have no plans to plant anything until Spring so would there be enough time for it to rot down?

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 16:18 »
I cart fresh manure in my car with no problems at all in old compost bags and not tied - no smell unless you forget to off load and leave them in overnight.. but a hanging air freshner sorted it out..  :)
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 19:05 »
People here say bung unrotted stuff on over winter and it will rot down.

That is not my experience - very little rots over winter because of the low temps.

The lecturer at the local horticultural college always says leave manure until it's been rotting a year at least before incorporating it into the soil and I tend to go with his guidance.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

bazial

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 19:25 »
I agree with you Yorkie ,better if kept for a year
bazial

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 19:26 »
I filled old compost bags with pig manure many years ago and put them in the back of my car with the seat down. I could feel the heat of it on the back of my neck all the way home and had to keep the window open to blow away the swarms of flies from around my head, and the pong... It was quite an experience. The man who helped load the stuff told me that when my neighbours knew that I had pig manure that they would all want some....
Mind you, I did get some lovely leeks later that year...

clairebeau

• Experienced Member
    • My Blog. Brambly Corner.
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 19:42 »
I used to have a couple of horses and I LIKE the smell  :D
Ha ha, yes I know...weirdo. x
Claire. x

"Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker!" - Ogden Nash

Mr McGregor

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 19:45 »
Horse feed comes in very strong bags, so I suggest you ask for some of these. My wife has a horse but it's fifteen miles away from my allotment. I usually go to the stables once a week, make up a few bags and once I have enough, fill the boot of the car. The bags will last for ages.

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 23:21 »
I've transported it in the back of my corsa in those plastic tubtrugs... the really big one.  It can get heavy so don't fill to full or have two people to carry!  Works well for me :-) I'm always up the stables and it's amazing how quickly your pile grows if you load up a trug each time you are down there! :)

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 08:18 »
Blue Ikea bags for me .. I collect in the summer though - the manure was dry and therefore light and easy to handle - put it into a compost heap and watered well ... It heated up and is rotting down nicely...

bigben

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 10:15 »
I usually double bag - fill old compost bags, fetch them to the car and then put each one into a clean bin bag and tie the bin bag at the top. The bin bags are useless to fill on their own but they do help keep your seats clean because I find I always end up with stuff on the outside of the compost bag that then finds its way onto my seats or boot. My boot is not big enough to get more than about 3 bags so even lining it is not a full solution as I also use the footwells and seats.

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 12:17 »
Keep your eyes open for someone on your allotment site who has a van or a big trailer, then see if you can persuade them to take a trip to the stables with you and you can split what you bring back.

Thats what we used to do when I had my plot.  I have a source of excellent well rotted manure, and we used to club together and go over there as a group with as many vans and trailers as we could muster and bring back as much as we could in one go.

Or have a chat to the people that run the stables, offer them some fresh veg and they may deliver it for you, I can guarantee that they will have a trailer.

xx
transporting manure

Started by luckypurplebutterfly on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 20, 2008, 12:30
by jazzbyrd
xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium
xx
Horse manure

Started by bobw1956 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 25, 2012, 13:07
by fred-quimby

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 36 queries.