New allotment help please

• 8 Replies

Debbiem

New allotment help please
« on: August 01, 2010, 18:23 »
I've been interested in having an allotment for some time now.  There are 80 on the council waiting list locally, and the local one also has no home as of next sept because the adjoining cemetery are taking the land back.  The council are obliged to find a new site, but there are no guarantees for people on the list.

I've come across someone setting up allotments privately but they are, I think, quite expensive at £130 per year for a 250 sq metre plot.

Just wondered what other allotment holders pay for theirs, and if there are any particular questions I should be asking?

It's quite a nice spot, flat, sheltered from wind but open and sunny.  Sheds, greenhouses and chickens are allowed (I'm wanting to keep a couple of chickens).  The only services appear to be one tap.  It looks like there will be about 10 plots when it's full.  Possible downsides are that there appears to be an abundance of rabbits, and the soil is very sandy.  I would make sure that there is a tenancy agreement in place.

Any thoughts from experienced allotment holders?

Thanks

Debbie

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: New allotment help please
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 18:35 »
That is very expensive.  In York you'd pay £60 per year for that size plot I think, and we are by no means the cheapest council place around.

You have already covered the most important things like water, shade, shed, chickens and soil type.  Is there space for parking?  What's the access like?  Does it feel safe?

Will the owner put in place rabbit proof fencing for each plot, or will that be your job - and at your cost? 

You will need heaps of manure to improve the soil and one tap is not much to help with the watering.  Will there be access for deliveries e.g. manure?

How will the site be managed?  What will be the process for warning letters, managing the waiting list? Will there be a committee or dictatorship? (Not that a committee is any guard against nepotism).

Will you still be able to remain on the council list for a cheaper and probably more secure plot? 

Apart from the problems with the existing site, it is usually far more secure for the council to offer a site than an individual, who can pull the site at any time.  How will you be assured that the individual has no other long-term plans for the site?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sloegin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 18:42 »
Hi there, i'm in exactly the same predicament as you! Have got my name down on the council list - 151st!! So i'm thinking of getting a private allotment, went to see them today. It's in a really secluded spot very peaceful with running tap.
 I "only" have to pay £315 and that's all until Jan 2012 then it's £200 a year.
I think it's really pricey am going to look at my finances and try and work something out really want to get one.
I'm sure i haven't been any help but just wanted to share with you

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 18:44 »
Yorkie is right to say there is a lot to consider  :ohmy:

But just to add -- we pay £58 for 260 sq m (should be 250 but we got a bit extra  :lol:) have to put up our own rabbit fencing -- and need to, too if anything is to be saved from the little fluffy darlings  :tongue2: -- and my plot is stones and thin silt, sothe soil  needs lots of building up.  :blink:

Bore hole water is available 'within 40 m' -- although mine is much closer.

But it is all worth it  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 18:44 »
£315 for 17 months, followed by £200 per year is a complete rip-off.  It's absolutely disgraceful and profiteering from desperate people.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 18:45 by Yorkie »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 18:51 »
£315 for 17 months, followed by £200 per year is a complete rip-off.  It's absolutely disgraceful and profiteering from desperate people.

This is a vast sum, and I couldn't afford it  ??? ???

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 20:04 »
thats a staggering amount as much as you would like a lotty dont pay it

but if you realy want one badly to a lotty share and cut the cost but its an awfull lot of money

good luck

Dom2599

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 20:42 »
I'm paying £68 per year for a council run 1/8th of an acre site....one tap between 160 plots!!, no manure, no rubbish removal....but i did mange to circumvent the looooong list of waiters to get the plot

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 20:48 »
I'm paying £68 per year for a council run 1/8th of an acre site....one tap between 160 plots!!, no manure, no rubbish removal....but i did mange to circumvent the looooong list of waiters to get the plot
I do hope that was by fair means and not foul. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

clip
New allotment

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 31, 2016, 20:58
by juvenal
xx
New allotment

Started by jan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 18, 2007, 14:04
by jan
xx
Allotment

Started by linda graham on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 05, 2015, 18:42
by linda graham
xx
Allotment help!!

Started by Tattieman69 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 13, 2011, 19:32
by Chrysalis

Page created in 0.381 seconds with 36 queries.