I would like an allotment

• 7 Replies

ChickenSarah

I would like an allotment
« on: January 29, 2009, 09:53 »
Hi there

I live in a small village called Ramsbury.  It is near Marlborough in wiltshire. There are allotments to be had here but you have to pay £40 a month for the privilege.  I have contacted a couple of the parish councils in my area but they will not let me have an allotment because I do not actually live in their village.

My question is this?  Does anyone know of an allotment available near where I live or have any advice as to where I would start looking for one.

I have joined the Hugh F-W campaign already. 

Thank you

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: I would like an allotment
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 09:57 »
Hi Sarah,

You've posted this on The Notice Board, which is really intended for site information.

I'll move you somewhere suitable!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

penance

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 10:11 »
Spent a lovely weekend in Ramsbury in a muddy field with tanks and guns!

Anyway, may be worth talking to some field owners and see if you could have a small plot on a field?

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 10:25 »
£40 a month is a very high rent for an allotment. This sounds more like what it should be per year. I would check it out before you go elsewhere.

woodburner

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 11:53 »
Contact your own parish council, and register your request with them. I believe that if there are 6 or more people waiting for an allotment (living in their parish), the council has to make provision for them.

All the allotments are currently taken here, but the only difference AFAIK for 'outsiders' is that they would have to pay double the rent. They would have no influence on the provision of allotments, though. I don't know generally what would happen to outsiders, when more locals want allotments, but here at least, the council are considering providing more anyway.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

spongebob

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 14:23 »
£40 a month is a very high rent for an allotment. This sounds more like what it should be per year. I would check it out before you go elsewhere.

i agree sounds alot

but wish you all the luck in getting allotment ;)

milkman

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 16:42 »
as others have said double check its not £40 per year - i don't think anyone could get away with charging £40 per month without a lot of local outrage!  :mad:

i did beating the bounds of aldbourne many years ago which I think is next door to you - very exhausting but I did get awarded a section of orange ribbon for my troubles  :)
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

madcat

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 19:55 »
Our allotments are owned by the parish council.  The clerk was a bit iffy with me because I wasn't on the electoral roll for the parish (long story why not!) but when assured that I did live there, paid council tax etc was fine to put me on the list. 

Their allotments, their land, their rules - and their parishioners.  Fair enough.   ::)

If they were owned by the district council or a private landlord, different rules apply!
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

xx
New allotment

Started by barryandbren on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 06, 2010, 11:46
by mumofstig
xx
New allotment

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 17, 2015, 23:39
by surbie100
xx
New allotment

Started by Reece on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post July 28, 2009, 13:25
by beansticks
xx
First allotment

Started by Tonyh on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 26, 2013, 06:36
by Headgardener22

Page created in 1.35 seconds with 39 queries.