My New Allotment

• 16 Replies

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
My New Allotment
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 17:05 »
Quote from: "dickpiggot"
Hi, Thanks for that (is your username welsh?)

My allotment is on the Piggotshill site - lots of stones in the ground, and a bit of clay apparently, but i might start slowly and just do a third of the site this year

Ah yes, I know where that is.  Everywhere is pretty clayey in that neck of the woods - I had horrendous clay in my Luton garden, with loads of huge flint nodules.  Might be an idea to source some stable manure for rotting down and digging in in the autimn if it is a bit clayey - that'll improve the soil structure no end!

Yes my id is Welsh, it's my house/little business name.  Y Ty Yn Y Cefn means the house at the back - sounds a bit like "a tea an' a coffee" to the uninitiated!

It's so early in the year, though - lots of things don't get sown until May or June, so you may find you'll get a lot more done than you think is possible now!  By doing a little bit at a time, and then planting whatever is appropriate into that, you can always look back onto what you've acheived if the magnitude of what's left to do get's you down!  First thing I planted was a herb patch, which was nice, as I could have something I'd grown with most meals, even if it was a tiny part.  Being a bit of an empire building bird, I'm trying to get the empty plot next to mine now!

dickpiggot

Sounds like a good way to tackle it
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2007, 08:26 »
....as my Grandad used to say, Eat the elephant in small pieces - I have persuaded a pal to go in on the plot with me - that way we can spur each other on too. Thanks for your worlds of encouragement

xx
new allotment

Started by mr dave on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post December 31, 2006, 12:01
by mr dave
xx
New Allotment

Started by jeffers71 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 29, 2008, 16:55
by jono2507
xx
our allotment last may

Started by crackedflowerpots on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 04, 2008, 10:44
by mashauk
xx
new allotment

Started by lucia on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 04, 2009, 17:11
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 36 queries.