Broilers in with Layers?

• 1 Replies

Scrumptious

• Scrumptious Preserves
Broilers in with Layers?
« on: March 14, 2011, 14:17 »
Afternoon!

We've got to grips with 4 lovely ladies that are giving us good eggs now regularly and are happy in their home.  We have got a large run now for them with a fenced off area and i was thinking about getting another couple of chickens.... but this time for meat!

Im not sure if i will be able to do it, but my dad used to be a butcher and i'm really keen to try and keep 2 additional birds for meat purposes.... but where do i start!

I have read that i really need to seperate to feed them.... or get another feeder? do i feed they layers pellets still? where do i buy in hampshire and what breed do i get! i've read 8 weeks is best to keep them, is this from point of lay?

Help!

Sarah

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Broilers in with Layers?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 14:27 »
you are best keeping them separate as meat chickens like to just sit, eat and pooh, often staying close to their food. The eight weeks is their age, not from point of lay. If you wish to keep both together why not go for a dual purpose bird something like a light sussex and cull at around 26 weeks  :).
It is best to withdraw feed for a day or so before culling so that their crops are empty and the feed has gone through their system.
I have never raised meat birds - I just cull and eat any cockerels that are surplus to my requirements that I may hatch (that is if I can catch the little blighters - I have 1 that I need to catch and cull but he roosts in the trees so this is proving a bit awkward  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Raising broilers...

Started by Casey76 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 31, 2010, 21:44
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Couple of lonely broilers and some exbatties

Started by westview on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post July 30, 2010, 13:54
by Casey76
question
layers or a mix of corn and layers?

Started by jobson336 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 12:44
by jamima
xx
best layers

Started by brookegard on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post August 25, 2011, 10:34
by brookegard

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 40 queries.