For Gardening Mark

• 1 Replies

Le Coq

For Gardening Mark
« on: April 10, 2007, 05:09 »
Hi there,
Do you have any plans and/or descriptions for your home made incubator?
I will be most interested to hear how you get on with this project.
Q.What is the definition of a smallholder?
A. A man, outstanding in his field.

Gardening Mark

• Experienced Member
For Gardening Mark
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 21:05 »
Hi there Le Coq, glad your interested in my incubator.  I looked on various sites for pics on home made ones.. Most of them used styro foam which is a box made from polysterene, with a small window in the front or the top. Along with a light bulb (brand new). It has to be a new one or it could pop and you will lose the chicks. The last thing was a thermometer, needing to be at 37.5 degrees.  It also said that if it was too hot then you might need a smaller bulb or a larger box (incubator), if it's too cold you might need a stronger bulb or a smaller box.
              I wanted to make one right away, but didnt have any of the things needed, except the light bulb lol.  I went out to the shed and got my big plastic fishing box, but I do not know what size it is. It's one of those blue boxes you put everything in except rods (unless telescopic) and when it's closed it's a seat.  Anyway it looked to be the perfect size, so I got it. I took a piece of glass from a picture frame smaller than A4, cut a hole just smaller than the glass and stuck the glass on with scelotape. I placed a piece of wood along the top (when open) screwed it in place and drilled, well poked a hole in the wood with a screwdriver large enough to put the wire from light through. PLaced a 60w bulb ib (but had a 100w ready, just incase). Turned the light on and hey it looks really cool. Next I had to get hold of a thermometer, which I didnt have. I had to wait until the next day, I was devestated lol. First thing the next day I rode 3 miles to the nearest shop that would definatley have some. Got one, sorted. Tried the temperature in the box but it was too cold, could barely get it past 30 degrees celcius. So I replaced the 60 for a 100w bulb. What do you know it worked a treat. Kept on checking temp every 30 mins for several hours, it was fine. Had to leave it on overnight to make sure the temp was accurate for the whole night, (I also stayed up really late that night to check, and got up so early the next day to check again), and it has been 0n 100farenheit well close enough, between 99 and 100. But that is exactly what I needed.... 37.5 degrees celcius. I was over the moon about this.
          I had been collecting eggs for a couple of days, as you can keep them at around 15 degrees celcius for up to 10 days before incubating them, giving you ample time to get as many eggs as you can. It took me 3 days to get 14 eggs. They are mixed ones as I have 2 kinds of hens and 3 different cockerals in the same run, ( which is huge). I had to leave the eggs for the first 24 hours, then start turning them 2 times a day, morning and night, roughly the same time if I can.  Thay have been there 3 days now, and I'm running up and downstairs loads of times everyday to check and stare at my cool incubator.  I cant beleive I got it right so quickly, Just hope I can keep things going this way and might have lots of little chicks in 3 weeks. I really do hope so. I'll keep you posted if you like, if your not too sick of reading already lol, but now Ive explained how it looks and how it was put together, if your thinking of trying it, good luck to you also. After day 10 I can hold the eggs up to a candle or torch to  see if theres anything going on inside, that will also be cool. I have never done this before so Im just hoping for the best.   Bye for now.... Mark

xx
Mark on comb?

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 21, 2008, 13:29
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Foxes.. would they mark territory?

Started by Porffor on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 17:43
by Porffor
xx
How long do eggs last for??? and ...how do we mark/identify them?

Started by looe-looe-belle on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 10:42
by looe-looe-belle
xx
Black Mark on Underside of Foot

Started by afewgoodchickens on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 01, 2010, 17:59
by henamoured

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 38 queries.