Controling Phlox

• 4 Replies

KT

• Experienced Member
Controling Phlox
« on: September 29, 2010, 15:39 »

Hey i'm trying to create a low maintiance raised bed for my in-laws. They have 40ft by 4ft stone trough made out of dry wall rocks, my in-laws are quite elderly so i want something which isn't too high maintinace but will be really pretty. I can go down about once a month and weed / re-plant etc and the neighbour has said she'll water if/when it gets dry.

I had some leftover Pansys and Primroses from my garden so last weekend i've been and filled it up with those, some are flowering now and some will start next summer.  at the end of the wall, where it hits the nieghbor's yard it widen's out to about 8ft across i've also planted in 100's of Daffodilli and Tulip bulbs, with a few panseys for "now colour"

righty, i was thinking of trying to soften the edges of the wall with something that would creep over the edge, also i'd like to make sure the area was quite densly packed it's a pet hate of mine when you get patchy pots or borders.

First off, i've seen some Creeping Phlox is this a good option as won't it help keep the weeds down as well as potentially creep over the wall???

However I'm concerned about it smothering the panseys and Primroses? Also i read a suggestion about daffodilli's being coupled with Phlox can they really break up though it?? won't it smother them as well?

Now i Realise the Pansys aren't perenial's anyway, they are just there as a temp measure till the primroses get established, so i'll need to pull them out and replace when they are done is this likely to be difficult with Phlox around?? im not so much worried about the current panseys as they have a head start i'm more thinking about a couple of years when the phlox has spread??

Opinions?

Goosegirl

Re: Controling Phlox
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 16:58 »
Phlox should spread nicely and daffs won't have a problem coming through them. Pansies can be pulled out easily when finished. Aubretis is also a good choice to soften edges and not invasive. I love Heucheras - they are evergreen with different types of foliage in many earthy colours and they produce flowering stems that are airy in summer and again in autumn and their leaves should cover the edges of the wall, depending on how you plant them. Primroses are lovely too. Cyclamen for spring and autumn flowering are great, as are hostas and ferns - some of these can be ok in full sun. It all depends on your soil type and aspect. 
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

madcat

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 17:04 »
You need to add things that smell good; alway appreciated when sight isnt all it used to be.  Thymes are good; not invasive and stand a shortage of water in the summer. 
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Junie

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 08:16 »
I love Campanula over walls, having the benefit of being able to grow into very small areas of soil  - my dad grew some in the holes of bricks on a wall - it looked beautiful. It does not grow too quickly either.

madcat

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 08:43 »
You need to add things that smell good; always appreciated when sight isn't all it used to be.  Thymes are good; not invasive and stand a shortage of water in the summer. 

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 37 queries.