Catflaps nuisance ?

• 66 Replies

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Catflaps nuisance ?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 16:54 »
he looked lovely (how can you call a handsome chap like that Fluffy?) and at least he had a caring home with you for his last few years, leaving you with lots of lovely memories to treasure  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 16:56 »
Oh Snippy, I'm sorry to make you fill up  :(, but what a handsome chap! :) Certainly not a Fluffy  :dry:. Thanks for the picture.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 17:10 »
Oh Snippy he was absolutely gorgeous!!!
He sounded a most delightful chap to have known  ;)

I hope when I get my ginger boy (shhhh - it's a secret! ;)) he's just as lovely as Bear (and that is a great name :))
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

Foxy

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 18:18 »
Beautiful, but I just love ginger boys! :D

Parsnip

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 18:27 »
Oh Snippy, I'm sorry to make you fill up  :(, but what a handsome chap! :) Certainly not a Fluffy  :dry:. Thanks for the picture.

Oh don't be sorry... ;) I'm just soft.. ::)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2009, 18:29 »

Oh don't be sorry... ;) I'm just soft.. ::)

So am I, it made me fill up a bit too..  :blush:

Parsnip

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2009, 18:33 »
I think there are quite a few of us softies here actually... :D

Snappy - for me my ginger boys have had the best characters. You won't regret! 8)

wendyg

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2009, 18:50 »
We used to have trouble with the one-eyed cat from next-door coming in, as well as another cat.  Changed to a magnetic flap, and all was well (although our cat did loose his magnet once, but we had a spare).  But then the one-eyed cat started getting through the cat flap (he didn't have a magnet on his collar) and we couldn't see how he managed it.  Then one day  I heard the flap moving, next-door's was only lifting the flap up from the outside!  After that we kept the flap locked and just let our cat out as and when required.

Wendy
1 Chicken House Blue, 1 Pied Suffolk, 1 Sussex, 1 Copper Black, 1 Cocker Spaniel, 1 border terrier x min. bull terrier, 1 Cat and an allotment.

treacleminer

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2009, 19:03 »
Ahhh ...  our old lady did try to bring the remains of someone else's sunday joint in thro' the cat flap.  Think she had got it from an open window ....  No-one claimed that either!!   :D

A friend of ours cat did that once - with a whole hot roast chicken - can you imagine the expression on the previous owners face "I'm sure I had a chicken there a moment ago ???!"

and no they never did find out where it came from :D

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2009, 19:46 »
Oh Snippy he was absolutely gorgeous!!!
He sounded a most delightful chap to have known  ;)

I hope when I get my ginger boy (shhhh - it's a secret! ;)) he's just as lovely as Bear (and that is a great name :))

And shhh I wont tell you where he's coming from  :tongue2: ;)

Spana

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2009, 20:04 »
When we came here 10years ago there was a catflap into the utility/boiler room which we left altho we didn't have a cat.  Two years ago a poor starving little stray started using it.  We called her Tattie and after making checks made her ours.  She was followed by Fluff Ball  and then Blackie.  I dread going out there now in case any more have come in. ::)  ;) :lol:

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2009, 20:12 »
If you already have a territory problem with spraying outside I would be reluctant to get a catflap without either chip or magnetic security. I have a normal cat flap, but have 7 cats who very much own the territory so no issues like that. I do get two of my neighbours cats coming in but they seem to be part of the "gang" and have caught them curled up with my guys on the sofa so it's not a problem. And even security cat flaps can be bashed through - as wendy mentioned some clever cats learn to open by pulling them up and big cats can just bash through the locking mechanism (my Arwen has managed this before to escape the dreaded cat basket). I wouldnt be without a flap with a multi-cat house, but if you have the time and just the one/two maybe the window and door opening may be best.

tode

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2009, 20:16 »
Can always give it a go, I suppose. It's just that I don't want to cut a hole in the door if it causes more trouble than it's worth      ::)   :D

noshed

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2009, 20:50 »
Fatty once managed to nick a chicken drumstick and get it through the cat flap, even though he had it in his teeth crossways. Bearing in mind he was scared of almost everything (except moths) this was a big achievement. I'll try to find a photo of him. He was a lovely cat.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Rubellite

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2009, 21:55 »
We put in our cat flap, then had to get a bigger one, then husband had to claim on the warranty "yes a dog does use it but it's only a small dog" ::) and I have to re-insert the plastic door often :blink: but hey, the dogs keep other cats from coming in via the flap and our 3 cats are then safe from intruders!! :lol: Fortunately the main crash culprit has now realised that he can't get through it anymore and so just sticks his head through and whines.

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 39 queries.