Puppy or rescue dog.

• 61 Replies

Agatha

Re: Puppy or rescue dog.
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2013, 16:08 »
So true.  Rescue dogs are just as 'mixed' a bunch as non-rescue dogs.  Another thing to bear in mind is that a lot of people tend to overemphasize how difficult their rescue dog was, either to excuse their dog's current bad behaviour or to make themselves look more heroic.  Also, experienced dog owners often deliberately adopt a difficult dog because they feel it is their 'job' to help the very damaged animals - it is a wonderful thing to do, but it can give the impression that all rescue dogs are a nightmare! 
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Oliveview

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2013, 08:51 »
We took a big dopey Spanish Mastin : link    

To the vet yesterday to be microchipped and get her jabs.  Augustina is going to a new home in Cordoba province.  She was so well behaved in the car, she sat at the back looking out the window.  At the vets she lay on the ground and went to sleep.  We are so happy she has found a home, she is a real gentle giant.  The people who are taking her have a big plot of land and another Mastin for company for her.  They are getting her sterilised too.  

Pamela

edit to fix link

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 12:08 by mumofstig »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2013, 11:10 »
oh my Pamela what a gorgeous hound, she would have been welcomed at my house any time.
A few days ago I managed to catch 1 of 3 dogs that are living rough near me and had to call in the dog warden. She was a lovely Norfolk terrier who was very smelly and muddy but also very friendly. Sadly I couldn't keep here as our Ollie is poorly with her arthritis (plus legally you have to call the dog wardens) but she will be going to a none destruct rescue - either wood green or the dogs trust and the warden said she would be re-homed very quickly as she is a small friendly girl.
Staffies are softer than you think.

compostqueen

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2013, 11:30 »
A Norfolk terrier!  My goodness. Lovely dogs and hopefully a fan will rescue the dog soon. Good job you found her Joy. Well done  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2013, 11:35 »
she really was lovely but sadly not chipped. The warden was also going to contact the Norfolk terrier club to see if they could re-home her. I do hope so. Jim was surprised that I didn't bring her into the house for us to adopt her especially as he is working away  :lol:. The other 2 dogs were a collie type and a JRT so I think somebody got caught rabbiting, lamping or hare coursing and fled leaving the dogs. They had been abandoned over a month cause I saw them before Christmas and had mistaken the Norfolk terrier in the distance as our Rosie (same colour and height) and called her - Rosie was in the house all along  :lol:

BIG ZOOK

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2013, 13:51 »
A greyhound might be a good option.

The house feels a bit small for that sort of size dog .

Another vote for the greyhound.They do not take up much space at all.We now have 4 rescue greyhounds ,ranging from 2 to 6 yrs :) and me and the wife prefer them 2 the kids. Good luck on your choice.

mobilekat

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2013, 22:38 »
We have 2 lurchers that are greyhound x Staffi, and would highly recommend them.
The statement about 40mph couch potatoes is true, they takle as much or as little exercise as they are given in a day, and enjoy the  simple pleasures of a warm fire to lie in front of too!
Both are rescues and we made a point with the 2nd one of dealing with a rescue group that provides decent support- Greyhound Rescue West of England, who also deal with lurchers too.

Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

cadalot

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2013, 06:52 »
We formally adopted a three Year old Westie about 10 years ago when a married couple my sister in law split and they were looking for a home for him. He is my third dog, since the age of 8, the last two were Heinz 57's and they were all great in their own ways

I thought Westie's were to small to be a "real dog" - but he is great and such a character 

BussinSpain

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2013, 11:14 »
Our first dog over here in Spain was from PEPA (a Spanish rescue society).  She was a German shepherd cross and 5 months young.  She was soooooo adorable.  She did not come with a "past" as we needed something that we could bring up our way as we have very young grandchildren.  But, we still gave an unwanted dog a very happy home.  Sadly though when Paddy was 16 months old we had to have her put to sleep.  Her hip joints had not developed properly so she was in-fact disabled.  It was agonising for us to see her suffer.  There is so much in-breeding going on that it is the dogs that suffer.  Our next dog, Rosie (my Avatar) was given to us by our next-door neighbours as a thank you gift for catching thieves at their house!!!  She is a crazy English Setter born to a reputable breeder over here (our Spanish neighbour's friend) She was the "puppy from hell" but has now turned into a very loveable hound:) She needs lots of exercise as she is from a hunting breed and line but we can give her what she needs.  So if you rescue a dog make sure you know what you are getting regarding temperament and have it health checked.  We were heart-broken by Paddy’s death at such a young age.  Rosie, well Rosie is just Rosie – fit and healthy and loveable, but crazy at times.  She is so good with children from toddlers right up to “big kids”.  Enjoy your “doggy hunting” and trust your feelings towards a dog/puppy.
Now what shall I do today?

Lardman

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2013, 14:55 »
Visited one the local-ish rescue centres today...  Met several of the dogs, such a shame I can only take care of one  :(

I would have loved to taken the female brindle off their hands but she'd obviously been mistreated by a man,  and would probably be better off with a family. I was taken with a longer legged stray, he seemed to have just the right amount of "bounce" to him.  He was a little on the lean side but we can soon sort that out. Someone will call to arrange a home visit.

I did ask if there was anything I should be doing to prepare the house, but they didn't seem overly bothered  :unsure:  Other than putting the floorboards back down, screwing all the wall sockets back in and making sure all the tools are put away is there anything else I should do?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2013, 14:59 »
Other than putting the floorboards back down, screwing all the wall sockets back in and making sure all the tools are put away is there anything else I should do?

somehow i think that would be a good start  ;)

we will of course need photos - of the dog, not the floorboards  :lol:

Agatha

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2013, 15:08 »
Be worth moving anything chewable/breakable out of the way until he has found his way around and settled in - my Bonnie went through a chewy stage for the first couple of weeks, but it was just nerves and went as soon as she had settled in.  Also, a lot of dogs are nervous of vacuum cleaners, so maybe avoid vacuuming the floors for the first few days! (What a great excuse!)

madcat

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2013, 15:31 »
Beer bottles to the recycling would be good - you don't want them to know too much about you first off.   :lol: :lol:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Lardman

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2013, 18:15 »
Beer bottles to the recycling would be good - you don't want them to know too much about you first off.   :lol: :lol:

Those aren't beer bottles  ;)

Be worth moving anything chewable/breakable out of the way until he has found his way around and settled in..

There's not really a lot of stuff to chew or break - it's rather utilitarian here  ::)

Trillium

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2013, 20:38 »

What a big, gorgeous, drooley dog, just the kind I love and would take home except we're already a bit crowded as it is  :D Unlike Hyacinth Bucket's sister, we've no room for a pony.

xx
Puppy will not eat puppy food

Started by wendyg on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post November 28, 2011, 13:37
by arugula
clip
welcome to our new puppy

Started by mjg000 on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post December 13, 2017, 09:20
by mumofstig
xx
new puppy!

Started by k4t1e195 on Pets without Feathers

5 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 23:35
by Wild Pony
xx
Our JRT puppy

Started by Green man on Pets without Feathers

1 Replies
Last post January 13, 2014, 17:39
by snow white

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 40 queries.