Puppy or rescue dog.

• 61 Replies

Agatha

Re: Puppy or rescue dog.
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 13:19 »
It's not the cute puppy thing that attracts me - but the bond created between dog / owner during the early stages of development.

I had my first dog from a puppy until she died aged nearly 16.  My current dog, now four, came to me in a badly abused state aged 15 months, having already had four homes.  Although I loved my first dog dearly, she was much harder work than Bonnie is and I have a much stronger bond with Bonnie than I did with her.

Also, I know one family who got a puppy because they were concerned about the 'bad past' of rescue dogs, but the puppy became very aggressive, had to be put down and they found that it had a brain tumour.  This isn't to say that you MUST get a rescue dog; it's just to point out that buying a puppy doesn't guarantee no trouble.  Though I would encourage everyone to consider a rescue dog as the FIRST choice, and only look elsewhere after deciding a rescue dog isn't appropriate for them.

I agree with Dawnuss - would really recommend you chat to a rescue centre about your concerns - good animal rescue charities won't push you to make a decision in a hurry as the last thing they want is for an animal to be returned because the owner made the wrong choice in a hurry!  Do you know anyone locally who has a rescue dog?  Talking to them might be helpful as well. 

If you decide you really must have a puppy, rescue centres do have litters sometimes so that might be an option. 

'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

maxyboo

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 14:23 »
Another vote for a rescue dog here. You can visit and build a bond with the dog before you make the final decision to take it. You can never know what a puppy's behaviour will be until it is older and you are "stuck with it" so to speak. There are so many staffies  in rescue centres and if you can help just one of them that would be fantastic. You are wise to be taken your time over this. It is a huge decision that so many people just take without any thought to the potential problems and responsibilty involved.

Thrift

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 15:37 »
Another word on the bonding issue -

Bessie, who has now been with us for a year, has formed the closest possible bond with both of us. I often wonder if she is even more appreciative of her home and all the fuss and love because she was alone for so long. All my previous dogs arrived as puppies while Bessie was probably 18-19 months, but she is the most devoted ever.

Lardman

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 16:10 »
  Do you know anyone locally who has a rescue dog?  Talking to them might be helpful as well. 

That's where I started  :D I met the several, from the overly bouncy boxer X to the malamute who was so timid it wouldn't stay in the same room as me, both of those had been adopted for over a year and I know the owners are experienced owners.

I haven't spoken with the homes directly yet I don't want to waste anyone's time as it would be 6-8weeks before I could really take any action.

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 19:28 »
My husky is x malamute and they are very in your face dogs wish mine was a bit more timid lol. Well so is my dalmatian the chinese crested is placid as a sloth. All i got from puppies and they all have a close bond with me as i do everything with them as the oh works long hours. I agree with thrift though that a rescue would build a close bond through apreciation. I dont know if its the same where you live but our local centre are always full of husky types too and most very young. People buy them for their cute look but cant keep up with the personality. If you want a dog that wants to be where you are and do what you do they are great. Mine has to be involved when im cleaning the house, has to come and put the chooks away with me i should have really named him shadow and not Diablo  :lol: only downside is the excercise and they dont care if its the worst possible weather they will be there waiting with there lead.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2013, 18:32 »
Our Terrier came to us from the RSPCA at the age of 4 months, his fourth home by that age, and stayed with us until he was 13 years old. We only have the Border Collie at the moment which was a farm pup, quite frankly, because I wanted a Border Collie and bearing in mind our location the nearest rescue centre is at least 120 miles away.

The Terrier was cool, calm and quiet with the chickens when we had them, the Collie was a pest.

I find it really upsetting visiting the rescue centres, I think basically because you can't take them all home, because regardless of breed thy all need a home and they are all gorgeous. :(

I can appreciate your concerns about rehoming and older dog, so I'd advocate trying to rescue a younger one.

Some fairly random thoughts, which might be helpful. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

spottymint

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2013, 20:42 »
A young dog is probably a blank canvas you can mold to your own ways, but it's temperament won't really be known.

An older dog, may be more set in it's ways, but then again, it's basic temperament may be more evident to people at the shelter.

Only taken on rescue cats, not dogs, but one was really neurotic, but with time, she's a real character & the O/H's favorite.

Had 4 rough collies, 1st one a big puller, bit excitable (died young). 2nd one, really calm, caring loved all cats, not just our own. N0 3 Big, ploddy & happy go lucky.

The one my relative has now, (N0 4) would be destroyed if it ever went to a shelter, it's unsafe to rehome. 

All bought as puppies, different breeders & raised the same way.

No 1 private breeder, council estate, parents poss from puppy farm

No 2 Private show breeder, no kids & cats

N0 3 Private breeder with kids, council estate

N0 4 Private breeder, council estate.

We are talking "Lassie dogs" here, only stated type of breeder & where they lived to show, it does not in my experience matter where the dog has come from background wise, it's down to individual temperament of the individual animal.

I'd just look at dogs you like the look of regardless of age or background, look at the temperament & who you click with.

Agatha

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 14:05 »
  Do you know anyone locally who has a rescue dog?  Talking to them might be helpful as well. 

That's where I started  :D I met the several, from the overly bouncy boxer X to the malamute who was so timid it wouldn't stay in the same room as me, both of those had been adopted for over a year and I know the owners are experienced owners.

I haven't spoken with the homes directly yet I don't want to waste anyone's time as it would be 6-8weeks before I could really take any action.

It can be a long haul depending on the dog's background.  But I have friends who adopted dogs where the owner died or moved somewhere that wouldn't allow dogs and they have settled in really quickly.  I knew mine would be a lot of work when I took her on, but felt I could deal with it.  It's really just a case of matching your ability/confidence to the dog & trusting your instinct. 

Thrift

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 09:52 »
A greyhound might be a good option. Ex racers are very used to adapting to new homes; they are a very affectionate breed, require little exercise and are very easy to handle; they are also short coated, so easy to keep clean.

Agatha

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 13:48 »
Good idea, Thrift.  I've met loads of ex-racing greyhounds and they have all been lovely, very placid and easygoing.  My Bonnie is part whippet/greyhound, judging by her build and she is certainly much less manic than a full collie! 

Lardman

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 14:37 »
A greyhound might be a good option.

The house feels a bit small for that sort of size dog, which is why I ruled out labs -I also prefer something a bit more chunky.

I met another rescue yesterday - an older collie X with rickets, the owner does tend to pick charity cases though. Im sure its 6 vs ½ a dozen but my experience so far of rescue animals isn't encouraging. 

Agatha

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 14:53 »
Well I had decided I was definitely not going to have another dog.  If I DID ever have one it would be a)old, b)small c)not a private rescue and d)definitely not a collie.  I ended up with a 15month old, medium sized, private rescue collie... :D  :D  :D   

compostqueen

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 16:21 »
I had a rescue Jack Russell who drove me nuts!  He was a blasted nuisance and I can well imagine how he became to be dumped. He was thoroughly mad, bad and dangerous to know.

The experience wouldn't deter me though and I'd have a rescue dog again.  I would choose a smaller dog I think as they're easier to handle.  I walk a bulky dog at the moment and he is so difficult for me to handle, especially on snow and ice.  So, given the choice I would go for a smaller dog any day  :)

Chrysalis

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 18:20 »
Retired whippet?  Thats' what I want, to complement my patterdale cross.

makes me broody to think about it  :nowink:

Oliveview

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 14:20 »
It is a case of go and look at the rescue places, they will respect your ´just looking´ visit. After all, it is not in their interests to let you take a dog that is not right.  Would it be possible to have a dog on trial? 
As I said previously, all our 4 dogs are rescue dogs (can you count being born in the olive grove as a rescue dog?)  We have 45 dogs at our rescue centre, ranging from a daft Pit Bull to a daft terrier type. There is a dog that hates men, he barks at them all the time, but with women he is great, he has obviously had a bad experience with men.  He needs a home in a convent!
We have a couple of dogs I would not give house room to and if  had my way they would visit the vet for a one way trip! But we have some fantastic dogs, as will the rescue places  close to where you live.
Give them a visit, just to look, you might be surprised at what they have there.  Not all dogs are dumped because they are a problem with behaviour, some will have been dumped due to financial problems.   

Happy hunting

Pamela

xx
Puppy will not eat puppy food

Started by wendyg on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post November 28, 2011, 13:37
by arugula
xx
Our JRT puppy

Started by Green man on Pets without Feathers

1 Replies
Last post January 13, 2014, 17:39
by snow white
xx
New Puppy!

Started by HelenK on Pets without Feathers

13 Replies
Last post October 08, 2010, 16:12
by Thrift
xx
Puppy!!!!

Started by YoungChickenLover on Pets without Feathers

16 Replies
Last post November 26, 2012, 15:32
by Oliveview

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 38 queries.