Old gooseberry bushes

• 6 Replies

tinkymalinky

Old gooseberry bushes
« on: July 23, 2010, 17:13 »
When I took on my plot 3 years ago, I inherited 2 gooseberry bushes. They look big and bushy but have never produced much fruit. The first year they were badly damaged by sawfly caterpillars, and the second year they got rust, so perhaps they're still recovering. Or do gooseberry bushes stop fruiting in old age? Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Tinks

shokkyy

• Mishka
Re: Old gooseberry bushes
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 20:44 »
Well, I've got a gooseberry bush in my garden that was old when I moved in 15 years ago and I've just taken a massive crop off it :)

jjbull

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 21:39 »
ive been in my house 11 years the previous people were in 5 years and the owners before them planted fruit bushes when they were there so ice got goosegogs that are at least 16 years old probably closer to 20 years and there still producing really well, give them a prune and feed and see what happens

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 22:13 »
But I also have a couple more gooseberry bushes in the same row that have been savaged by sawfly for the last three or four years. This year they seem to be free of sawfly and did give a crop, but only a small crop. The sawfly have definitely made them a bit sorry for themselves and the bushes are smaller because some of the shoots died right back.

chris23005

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 22:23 »
We inherited an old gooseberry bush when we moved here last September. It was very leggy and there was a lot of dead wood and it was also in the "wrong" place! So my husband dug it up and stuck 10 bits of it in the earth. They all rooted, we have already given some away and they are now growing nicely up against a wall, espalier like! No fruit this year, but that would be normal as there is nothing left of last year's growth for it to fruit on! They are all doing extremely well though, and look very healthy! Looking forward to goose*** pie next year!  :D

tinkymalinky

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 07:12 »
Ok - so it's not an age thing. Perhaps they just need some TLC - I'll feed and water and keep my fingers crossed!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 07:16 »
You could try taking a few cuttings in October, or layering a branch or two to root new bushes.

The bush in my mother's garden, by the way, is at least 40 years old.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
Hi I'm gonna get some blueberry bushes and gooseberry bushes

Started by Gardening Mark on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 22, 2007, 22:07
by Gardening Mark
xx
Old Gooseberry bushes

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 15, 2012, 19:32
by Yorkie
xx
Gooseberry bushes

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 12, 2013, 09:28
by sunshineband
xx
Gooseberry bushes

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 09, 2023, 17:46
by mdjlucan

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 36 queries.