new hens spending more time in

• 4 Replies

maninvan

new hens spending more time in
« on: January 31, 2011, 11:55 »
Hello folks, Im very new to this and looking for advice. We only got our 3 hens on Saturday and up to now they are eating and drinking, pecking around and so on but late yesterday and today ive noticed with it being around freezing point the girls are spending more time in their house and when they do come out it is only to peck at water and the corn. My concern is is this normal to spend more time in the house being new and why are they not keen on the layers pellets? Also one of the girls her comb small as it is , is not standing straight up. Sorry for so much at once just want them to be ok! Thanks for any advice you can give Andy. 

D

• Experienced Member
  • Bella
Re: new hens spending more time in
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 12:48 »
When we had all the snow the other month mine stayed inside the coop for the majority of the day, only coming out when thet wanted water and food. Its nothing to worry about, their just trying to keep themselves warm. As for the comb not standing straight, this isn't a problem either. I have one with whats know as a single folded comb. The bird won't win only poultry shows but unless it covers the eyes it's no problem either. Were the birds on something else before pellets? I swopped from meal to pellets at one point, they weren't happy but eventually started to eat it anyway.

carolbriar

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 13:09 »
Did you put them on the same food that they had before you got them?  That could make a difference.  Also, is the corn available all the time?  Corn should really only be given as a treat in small quantities towards the end of the day. 

When I got my new hens they spent a lot of time in the house - it probably took them 3 weeks before they would stay out all day.  They were a bit timid and if there was a loud noise or something they weren't familiar with they got frightened or very wary.  I'm sure your girls will be out and about soon.
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

maninvan

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 13:26 »
Thankyou for the reply's the layers pellets was supplied by the person from whom i bought them from and he fed them with the same pellets. Ive just moved the pellet's to a different place in the run and they have started eating them now! With the advice to giving them the corn later as a treat i will start tomorrow. Thankyou once again for the reply's and advice Andy. 

orchardlady

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 13:30 »
Just view the corn like chocolate...not for breakfast!

OL

xx
my choocks are spending

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 01, 2008, 16:18
by naturesparadise
xx
should I take on 5 week old hens for my first time?

Started by anitaws on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 24, 2009, 13:01
by anitaws
xx
Is there a 'usual' time of day for hens to lay?

Started by GerryOB on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 09, 2010, 19:14
by grumpydad
xx
does anyone get to see their hens this time of year?

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post November 23, 2010, 13:26
by TeaPots

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 39 queries.