Silkie hens

• 6 Replies

Arnfields

• Experienced Member
Silkie hens
« on: June 10, 2010, 15:55 »
Hi All
We have a flock of ex-batts, one of which has been very poorly with EYP.  She is now well but no matter what we do the rest of her 'friends' will just not let her back in.  They have even taken to ganging up on her and she is still rather a weedy thing, especially compared to some of the other girls who have filled out beautifully since we brought them home last September.
Anyway - we have had to separate Matilda for her own safety and have ordered a new house and run for her but are looking for a pair of nice, small, gentle hens to keep her company.
My question is - will silkies be ok and if so, does anyone know of a reputable person in the area? (Near Northampton)
Thanks for your help...
1 lovely hubby, 3 dogs, a bunny and 7 ex batts and a shiny new lottie!  (so far)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Silkie hens
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 23:31 »
Well I've never had many silkies, but I did 'rescue' Enery, a bearded cuckoo silkie cockerel, who, whilst living on his own, took in a runt Goldline and looked after her.  when I found her a nice home, another runt Goldline found her way into his run and she was happy with him for months.  Then I took on Cara's 2 white silkies and he looked after them.

Unfortunately he died, but Joyfull found me a lovely gold silkie cockerel and he went in with the 2 white ones and my little girly bearded cuckoo, and they all live very happily together, so from my experiences, I'd say yes......   but......  don't know what anyone else will say!

raeburg

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 23:44 »
My 2 silkies (although noisy) will accept the waifs and strays that come to live in the garden when they need  bit of TLC.

Arnfields

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 10:00 »
That all sounds very hopeful!
The only breeder I have found locally says they don't have any but are not breeding them much as they were a bit brutal but they have pekins that are much nicer - just felt like a sales pitch for what they have available!

stan deakin

• Stan's Bantams
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 11:58 »
i have silkies as well as dutch , they are great as pets , down side is they are devels for going broody but you might like that we call them the ladies birds as all ladies seem to go mad on them

stan

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 13:01 »
HAH! that's all I can say about silkies. Broody? HAH!! I got a silkie hen in April 2009 POL. She laid 9 eggs for me all season. This season she has laid four - 4 - that's FOUR eggs so far and all of those in March.  :blink:

I have been told they need to lay 100 eggs before they go broody so she'll be dead before she does. And I specifically bought her to be a broody. Fortunately for her she is very pretty and bit of a character - oh and too little to be worth making into a pan of soup  :D
3 o'clock is both too early and too late to start anything - Sartre said so.

Arnfields

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 17:26 »
They do sound like they will be lovely buddies for Matilda but I am sruggling to find any for sale.  There are lots of cockrels and much as I would love to home one, we would likely end up being thrown out if he started crowing at any time, never mind early mornings!
Does anyone know of a good breeder or home breeder with a couple of ladies to spare?? :blink:

xx
Can we put a Silkie Bantam cockerel with hens?

Started by lizzydripping on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 21, 2009, 02:07
by nnbreeder
xx
looking for some silkie hens for my lonely boy!! can anyone help (cambs)

Started by kazzii2010 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 12:40
by kazzii2010
xx
Silkie

Started by Frizzle1 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2019, 08:11
by New shoot
xx
help me sex silkie

Started by silverteen on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 30, 2012, 21:44
by YoungChickenLover

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 28 queries.