Smell and flies

• 5 Replies

BGD

Smell and flies
« on: June 24, 2013, 10:44 »
I am trying to find the best solution for keeping down the smells and therefore the flies in our duck area.

Ducks are much messier than chickens. We have a pen for them (12 foot by 4 foot) which is filled with straw and regularly cleaned. But we also allow them the five of them out into another area of the garden, low-fenced off, which is about 20 feet long and six feet wide.

Over time, unsurprisingly, the grass has disappeared and now it is just hard earth, a sandpit style pond and their poo, which attracts flies and smells.

I have purchased a Red Top fly catcher and try, not very successfully, to hose down the hard earth but the smells persist and I can see our neighbours getting increasingly agitated as the duck area abuts the end of their back garden.

I'm trying to research some solutions and wonder whether anyone has tried anything that actually works? Otherwise my options if I can't source something is keeping them in the pen consistently or whittling down their numbers to cut down on poo production!

Any suggestions appreciated.

Currently considering rubber mats, rubber chippings, some sort of gravel that is not going to hurt their feet, covering part of the area and laying with straw/hay/bark chippings, reducing their outside space to roam etc etc
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 13:34 by BGD »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Smell and flies
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 11:04 »
It is difficult as I suppose you won't be able to poo pick as you can with chickens.  When I had turkeys last year I used Stalosan F powder on the soil which help to neutralise the smells. 

Product details
"Unique broad spectrum powdered disinfectant.
Very strong and very effective anti-bacterial, anti-viral & anti-fungal.

Destroys coccidia oo-cysts, parasites, worms and fly eggs and larvae.

Very effective in the prevention of Coccidiosis.

Removes ammonia and hydrogen sulphide and dries out moisture.

Non-toxic and suitable for use with all livestock.

Apply to litter, bedding areas and around feeders & drinkers." 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 12:50 »
Seems a small area in which to keep 5 ducks, no wonder it smells.  Like ANHBUC said though Stalosan F is good, but ducks really need more room to roam, they are like geese, grass goes in one end, poo comes out the other!

BGD

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 13:33 »
Seems a small area in which to keep 5 ducks, no wonder it smells.  Like ANHBUC said though Stalosan F is good, but ducks really need more room to roam, they are like geese, grass goes in one end, poo comes out the other!

Hi GrannieAnnie, I did get my measurements wrong, now amended. The ducks used to have the whole garden until all the grass went and a poo dotted terrain was left. ideally, I would prefer 3 ducks, though the children are very attached.

BGD

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 13:35 »
It is difficult as I suppose you won't be able to poo pick as you can with chickens.  When I had turkeys last year I used Stalosan F powder on the soil which help to neutralise the smells. 

Product details
"Unique broad spectrum powdered disinfectant.
Very strong and very effective anti-bacterial, anti-viral & anti-fungal.

Destroys coccidia oo-cysts, parasites, worms and fly eggs and larvae.

Very effective in the prevention of Coccidiosis.

Removes ammonia and hydrogen sulphide and dries out moisture.

Non-toxic and suitable for use with all livestock.

Apply to litter, bedding areas and around feeders & drinkers."

Thank you for the tip on the powder - will definitely get some!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 14:52 »

Hi GrannieAnnie, I did get my measurements wrong, now amended. The ducks used to have the whole garden until all the grass went and a poo dotted terrain was left. ideally, I would prefer 3 ducks, though the children are very attached.
That's a bit better!  ;)  Ducks and geese really need to be able to free range to be happy.  We have a half acre plot here, but the chickens still take up a bit of room, then there is the turkey shed for OH's Christmas dinner and my veg plot.  So I woulnd't have ducks here too.

It's nice to see a bit of grass growing now we don't have so many chickens!  :)

xx
How bad does Mr fox smell?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 22, 2013, 11:01
by maxyboo
xx
Smell and noise?

Started by netserve on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post August 22, 2008, 14:14
by compostqueen
xx
egg shell smell

Started by Sparr0wman on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 24, 2009, 18:18
by Sparr0wman
xx
new hens smell of wet dog...help

Started by dannyboy2010 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 07, 2011, 21:45
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 39 queries.