French beans lost their ooh, la, la!

• 9 Replies

Anton

« on: May 17, 2007, 13:47 »
My French beans were starting to come up nicely just before the wet weather set in. The next few seedlings to appear looked a bit moth-eaten, similary to the experience I had last year in April, when it never stopped raining. Will I have to start all over again?. Should I have put a fleece over them? Is it worth doing so now?

Anton

agapanthus

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 14:04 »
There's still plenty of time to re-sow :)

sladefungus

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 00:26 »
thats good news cos mine have been a disaster too.  poor germination - half of em just rotted, probably cos the compost was too wet, then the few that made it were nibbled by some horrible beasty that seemed to only like eating the growing shoot leaving forlorn looking stalks sticking out.  Im discovering gardening can be very disheartening until you know all the prevention methods !!!
Time is natures way of stopping everything happening at once

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 07:44 »
hmm interesting, I put mine in around 2-3 weeks ago, straight in to the ground, but no sign oof life yet! grrrr. I put  each of them lovingly in with a few manure pellets and shredded paper, 2 seeds per hole, not one has shown.. should I re sow.. I guess I will annyway in pots just in case!

Sam K.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 10:36 »
Sorry not a solution but a new problem.

My climbing French beans have come up :D

However the some of the seed leafs or what is part of the seed that pushes up were looking a bit rough. :(

Upon closer inspection they were full of maggots. :evil:

Is this normal I cannot say I have noticed them before. I plucked them off to avoid any more of the seedlings getting attacked. Though as the first leaves are not quite open yet I don’t think they will survive.

Anyone experienced this before?

Link to maggoty photo

Maggoty Photo
Sam.

Organic with treated timber present.
What can you do? I don't want the house to fall down.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 10:52 »
If you search some of my posts it explains how I have done these this year, I also had problems with them rotting etc but the method I used seems to so far have worked, all the climbing (Cobra) are coming along and my bolliti's are also starting to charge up the poles although this weather may still have an impact, I will say I never start them off direct in the ground. Here is a link I posted not that long ago -- http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=4544&highlight=   Hope this helps.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
A useful tip that works
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 13:24 »
After many season of suffering with these sorts of problem I now have a solution that works.

I collect all the psring water bottles I can and remove thier bases.  I plant a dwarf french bean and place the bottle without lid removed over the top.  I plant rows of three across my raised bed.

You can water the seed through the open mouth of the bottle which acts like a little clouch over every seed.  I have just over forty bottles doing just this at present and it really does work well.  Bottles are removed as soon as the plants have four leaves.

An added benefit is that they appear to be relatively slug protected as well. Ooh La la - viva la Sainsbury's spring water
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
Re: A useful tip that works
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 14:35 »
Quote from: "rugbymad40"
After many season of suffering with these sorts of problem I now have a solution that works.

I collect all the psring water bottles I can and remove thier bases.  I plant a dwarf french bean and place the bottle without lid removed over the top.  I plant rows of three across my raised bed.

You can water the seed through the open mouth of the bottle which acts like a little clouch over every seed.  I have just over forty bottles doing just this at present and it really does work well.  Bottles are removed as soon as the plants have four leaves.

An added benefit is that they appear to be relatively slug protected as well. Ooh La la - viva la Sainsbury's spring water

Sorry RM, do you sow direct into the ground then? and put the 'cloche' over the place you planted, or do you wait for growth to appear before butting the bottle on? or have I entirly misunderstood you and you sow inside then transplant?
Sorry for all the Q's!

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 20:59 »
Sorry guy's - yes you sow direct into the ground and then cover them.  When they have four leaves the Spring Water bottle is removed.

Annie

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 22:23 »
Sam, your little seeds were fighters,most maggotedpeas/beans do not make it to the leaf stage.Loads of time so plant again in fresh compost.

xx
Problem with French Beans (cobra) yellow leaves and brown curly beans

Started by djmissj on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 09:57
by Salmo
xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
xx
Runner beans - lost cause

Started by chrisjsmith on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 14:39
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 32 queries.