melons

• 2 Replies

flowergirl

melons
« on: February 04, 2008, 10:44 »
Ive just brought a packet of Emir F1 melon seeds and was wondering if anyone had any tips for growing them.
The packet says
"tolerant of cool conditions, can even crop outside"
As i dont have a greenhouse i thought this may be ok? what do you guys think?Im down south in Kent so we get good weather (normally, ive probably just cursed the whole year :lol: )
Any opinions welcome
Thanks

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
melons
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 12:43 »
Hi flowergirl

I tried to grow 3 types of Melon last year, the only successful one was a cantaloupe melon called “Charentais”, I am in the North West near Preston, so being in Kent you should have more luck. I grew them outside in a home made frame covered with an old double glazing window.
Good luck with yours.
Paul

Trillium

melons
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 15:45 »
You should get some melons this year, but they are very cold sensitive so do have either a frame as previously suggested or large cloches for them until the weather is decidedly warm enough for them to grow. Don't plant them out until the soil has warmed somewhat as this can kill them off as well. They need loads of old manure and peat, a good mulch and regularly watering all season. Once you see 2 or 3 young melons forming, tip prune the rest of the 'stem' as the newer flowers will only rob energy and food from the first few that have a chance to actually mature. When cooler weather comes along, cover with fleece so they can finish maturing.

xx
Melons on my hot bed

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post September 23, 2007, 21:15
by shaun
xx
Melons

Started by bayleaf on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 04, 2022, 18:37
by Yorkie
xx
Melons

Started by Honeysuckle on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 13, 2009, 21:01
by tam
xx
What do I do with my melons now?

Started by JulesJ on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 05, 2009, 13:32
by JulesJ

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 33 queries.