Motivation

• 20 Replies

snowdrops

Re: Motivation
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2018, 08:07 »
Just stay positive, you must still enjoying being on the plot when you there.

I've been doing no dig now for three years on most of my plot the weeding has reduced lots, what has grown are so easy to pull out. 
The water I done though out the summer once new seedlings got established was twice a week when really hot, once a week other then that.  The greenhouse was a little more of course.

So I haven't had the chore of weeding and watering every time I was there.  Leaves time for other jobs and relaxing.

Yes that’s been my experience this year too after turning to no dig( I never did dig a lot before apart from planting & harvesting potatoes)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

snow white

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2018, 11:07 »
I have part of my plot to no dig (raised beds) and the rest is fruit and either black membrane or grass.  I do have lots of weeds growing up inbetween everything, though I plan to do a bit each day.  Even no dig entails lots of manure lugging about.  I am doing the minimum at the moment and hope I don't get any letters about the state of it.  :(  We renew in December so I have a few months to think about it.  :closedeyes:

Thanks for all your replys.   :)

Lardman

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2018, 15:08 »
It's been a funny sort of year. Normally by now I'd be complaining about dead cukes, tomatoes with botrytis, the plague of spider mites and emptying out the greenhouses, this morning I was stringing up a second cordon on the sungolds.  :wacko:

The veg patch itself though has been enough this year to make me rage quit and I'll be returning it to lawn.

Just to play devils advocate a bit; if you're not happy with the plot now do you know why? Is it the lack of return, the work required, the time needed or have your interests change.  If you don't know why you're not happy, doing nothing about it may just end up with you being in the same position Sept 2019 resenting wasting a year fighting with the plot.

It's perfectly fine not to want to spend hours weeding, lugging poo around or picking slugs out of your lettuce, if you do give up your plot you shouldn't see it as a failure at all. You had one, you enjoyed it and then you passed it to someone else to do the same.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2018, 17:11 »
Very true Lardman.
For me I think this year has been a lot of work, on a new plot, plus unkind weather for most crops, resulting in small harvests compared to normal. Carrying watering cans for hours on end seemed like an awful lot of work for very little reward tbh

Hopefully next year will be better, if not then it will be time for me to hand back the keys and spend my time and effort in my garden.

chillimummy

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2018, 21:44 »
Agree this year has been a bit thankless.
For myself, I finally visited my plot today before it rained and was pleasantly surprised to see how well my pumpkins, squash and courgettes have done.
Not much else has grown well but it didn't look as bad as expected and most of the other plots were the same so everyone else is in the same boat.
Planning on having a couple of days tackling superficial weeds and start getting ready for autumn.
Have made plot look more manageable this year with paths so hopefully by end of autumn, I'll feel pleasure in plot again.
Looking at plot today has reminded me how much work I've put into it especially since I took on full plot and that I don't want to give it up.
4 years ago I had some family issues and it became my place to escape to for peace and quiet.
Hoping that weather is kinder to us all next year and our pleasure in our plots returns.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

snowdrops

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2018, 07:19 »
On the whole I’ve had a good year, I’ve had the t8me to really get to grips with the plot & mostly it has looked the best it ever has. I really feel going no dig has helped me achieve this with less effort.
 The last few weeks I’ve not had time to visit so often to garden & over the weekend was feeling a bit stressed knowing I’d got lots to do & a holiday looming up the week after next. I went yesterday with my daughter & friend to harvest & saw the plot through their eyes, particularly through friends eyes, she was amazed by it all , so I think sometimes it’s just us beating ourselves with the stick that we keep especially fir ourselves, we’d never be that hard on any one else.
Cut yourselves some slack, accept that the  weather has made it tough this year, just go to your plots to be reinfected by the magic of it  & I think you’ll find that it soon becomes your place to unwind & just be.
Plus all the other suggestions that have been made are all good ways too

xx
Motivation

Started by ches on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post April 03, 2020, 12:34
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 45 queries.