Broody bantams

• 6 Replies

offshore1

Broody bantams
« on: July 09, 2011, 14:27 »
My two bantams have always been prone to broodiness  but the latest stint has been over two months now.  They are both eating and drinking well - and indeed one is putting on weight - probably due to lack of exercise!!  Is this length of time the norm with bantams and any suggestions as to how to encourage them them out of this.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Broody bantams
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 15:35 »
it depends on the breed, I have some silkie crosses that lay an egg - go broody - eventually snap out of it - lay an egg - go broody and so on  :lol:
I also have a Belgian that has just raised some chicks and is now broody again  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

hillfooter

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 18:55 »
it depends on the breed, I have some silkie crosses that lay an egg - go broody - eventually snap out of it - lay an egg - go broody and so on  :lol:
I also have a Belgian that has just raised some chicks and is now broody again  :(

Yep my Orloff bantams are the same.  Anastasia is already broody again only 5 weeks after finishing brooding her last lot.  Bantams are renowned broodies.  Out of 4 bantam hens last week 3 were broody but ones stopped since.  The ones which are broody seem to be permanently so.

HF
Truth through science.

nuggets dad

• www.eternityimages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 19:47 »
Can i be cheeky and ask a question in this thread , save starting a new one  ;)

Our Buff Bantum has been broody now for about a week .Today i have taken out of the run that they have and put her in a smaller rabbit run , with shelter from the rain , a perch and food and water . She has nowhere to nest , and is on the grass .Would the grass be enough to stop her broodiness or do i need to put some wire on the bottom of the ru and then raise it to get air under her to trick her out of it ? Also will she be warm enough on her own in the smaller run .It has plastic around half of it and i have put a layer of felt on top of the half that has plastic , to make sure she doesnt get wet . She is my favorite girly , so i dont want her to suffer on her own  ::)

Many thanks and sorry for hijacking your thread .

Mark
I ginger moggy, with a wonky tail , 2 Bantums , 2 Brown hens and missing my gorgeous Dobie girl , Izzy .

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 01:40 »
It might work but not as effectively as having a slatted ventillated floor.  Don't leave out of the run too longt or the others may reject her when she returns.  Try to arrange it that they can see each other.

HF

nuggets dad

• www.eternityimages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 20:25 »
Thanks HF  :) She is only just outside the run for the others , so that is ok .I was worried about moving her away . The grass doesnt seem to be working , so i am gonna have to get some sturdy mesh and put her on that for a while .I was gonna leave her in overnight but the temp has been dropping and i am concerned that she will be too cold ? She is eating and drinking so not too worried about it at the moment , its just she isnt her usual happy girlie .

Cheers Mark

offshore1

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 09:50 »
My two are pekins and had set their hearts on the Guiness book of records as they went into their third broody month.  Taking  the advice on  this forum I  built a smallish wire mesh cage  with a floor of the same material.  Raised it up so air circulated all round,  used a large plastic sheet to rain proof the top and then introduced the girls to their new home.  They were not impressed.  Huffed and clucked for three days then threw in the towel and returned to being their usual selves.  Was able to locate the cage outside but not an option for the winter months.  Job done for now however!

xx
help needed...broody bantams!

Started by honda600 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 24, 2011, 16:13
by Casey76
xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
Sorry ANOTHER broody question (that's BROODY not B*oody)

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 10:36
by Fifitrix
xx
how and do ? hybrids (brown hen) go broody how can you get them broody ?

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 09:13
by too many girls

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 40 queries.