Pure Breeds or Hybrids

• 11 Replies

Fisherman

Pure Breeds or Hybrids
« on: January 24, 2010, 06:45 »
Can you advise on average how long Pure Breeds lay for and how long on average they live for. Same for Hybrid’s.

Also at what rate does egg laying deteriorate on average per year.

The reason I ask is that I am considering whether to get a mixture of Pure Breeds and Hybrid’s or just one type. Just getting a few for egg laying purposes.

Alternatively is it better to just introduce a few more POL hens when egg laying decreases?

cluckingnuts

• Experienced Member
Re: Pure Breeds or Hybrids
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 07:27 »
How many hens do you intend to keep & how many eggs do you want per week?  Do you want a selection of coloured eggs & different breeds to look at?

Fisherman

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 08:05 »
About 2 dozen eggs a week at the most. A mixture of coloured eggs  would be good although dark brown preferred. Would like good looking coloured hens.

Thanks in advance.

cluckingnuts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 08:31 »
As a quick suggestion how about Marans, cuckoo & birchen,(brown egg), Cream Legbar(blue), Leghorns, white, brown, exchequer,(white). All are easy enough to get hold of & will give you different birds to look at.

grumpydad

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 08:46 »
all chickens have a pre determined number of eggs, when they run out thats it...
hybrids are bred to lay them all as quickly as possible, and are not designed to live for a long time.they will also lay for most of the year.
pure breed hens will lay at a slower rate, and will usually slow down in the winter for a rest but live for a longer time.

egg production in either will be less as each year goes by, the first year is the most productive in terms of the number of eggs layed, year 2 will be about 20 % down, but often with bigger eggs, year 3, 20% down on year 2, etc.

we only have pure breed hens, but there are lots of lovely hybrids, who often are more resilient than pure breeds.

my advice, find a chicken that you really like the look of, dont worry about the rest

martyn

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 09:11 »
Have a look here, some information you might find useful. Worth looking at the poultry articles and stickies

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=31331.0

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 09:40 »
Another good reason to have 4-5 hens that lay different coloured / sized eggs is you notice if a particular bird stops laying. This can focus your attention on the bird that may have health problems.
A mixed flock does look better too. :)

smiler43

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 15:24 »
I have 3 hybirds and a gold laced Wyandotte.  Eggs are hit and miss at the mo anyway.  I love my Wyandotte she's gorgeous but doesn't lay everyday.  Hybrids are better layers.  It all depends what you want, lots of breeds about go and have a look and see what you like.

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 16:19 »
I agree with grumpy. Have a look around, and you will see one that you'MUST HAVE' cos it appeals to you. Whereabouts are you?
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

Fisherman

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 17:41 »
Hello IMOmimey
Wet and miserable Lancashire (today anyway). Quite a few places to buy hens from it’s just a dilemma which ones to go for. I used to keep chickens a million years ago but things were simpler then well at least I think it was.

Thanks everyone

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 16:24 »
weather just as lousy here.  :mad: Shame you are so far away, (would be a good idea if you put where you are on your profile details, as it is really useful), I was gonna invite you for a cuppa, and to meet my lot, as I have all sorts, which might have helped you choose.

smiler43

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 20:47 »
If the link works have a look it gives you an idea about breeds, how many eggs they lay and what colour etc.

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

or look up Hendersons Chicken Breed Chart

xx
Hybrids vs Pure Breeds

Started by VM on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 16, 2008, 14:07
by VM
xx
Pure Breeds Or Hybrids...what do you fancy???

Started by Foxy on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 24, 2008, 15:19
by Ruby Red
xx
introducing 2 pure breeds, with 4 hybrids....problems!!

Started by jakes-old-man on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 20, 2011, 08:40
by jakes-old-man
xx
Pure breeds

Started by Poolfield2 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 14, 2008, 20:56
by Poolfield2

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 39 queries.