Growing raspberries

• 29 Replies

beaker141

Re: Growing raspberries
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 12:30 »
Thanks.

What do you think about 2ft spacing ?  I dont need to walk down as I can reach in to the row from the edge of the bed (I think).  How many canes in each row of 5ft long would I typically plant, would 3 canes per row be about right ?

e.g.

XXXXX         
2ft
XXXXX
2ft
XXXXX
2ft
XXXXX
2ft
XXXXX

fatbelly

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 12:38 »
On my last plot I was short of space and left 18 inch gaps between the rows and it just was not enough for me to get down the row.

They really do spread out when in full growth.

Mind you check out my user name and that might help you in your decison  :D
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 12:41 »
To give you a clue, my "hedge" of Autumn Bliss raspberries is 6' wide.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 13:03 »
From my RHS "Growing Fruit" book

Plant 18" apart. If more than one row space the rows 6' apart (or 5' if using a single-fence-system)

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 17:30 »
If you are going to grow summer ones they will need support and tying in. Whereas the autumn ones don't - so they are a lot less work, just the usual mulching, weeding etc. Raspberries do spread like crazy so if you don't want then to I would put them in a raised bed. Autumn Bliss is a great autumn variety and fruits from August right through to the first frosts in October/November. The autumn fruiting varieties produce a steady supply of fruit over a longer period and are less work. However if you want lots of fruit over a short period of time (for jam etc) and you are prepared to invest the time in creating a post and wire system and possibly a fruit cage - to keep the birds off - then the summer ones produce probably twice maybe three times as much fruit a year for the same length of row.
RV Roger will do delivery, here's the link if you want to have a browse:
  Here
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 18:00 by Yorkie »

rowlandwells

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 20:00 »
there seems to be some concerns about the width of rows between each Row i learnt the hard was when i first set my raspberry plot o yes i set them to close your absolutely rite guys width between rows is most important :D

we ended up with what your saying a impenetrable thicket of weeds and nettles in the raspberry plot picking the fruit was difficult and i got an ear bashing when the pickers got stung in the end i had to move the raspberries to another plot they got so unmanageable i made sure the rows where wide enough this time  :mad:

i know some of you say there's no need to put post's wires up the rows for autumn bliss but ime going to post and wire the rows this year i think it will make picking easier and i will be able to keep the rows clean weed free and tidy  :)

beaker141

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 22:41 »
there seems to be some concerns about the width of rows between each Row i learnt the hard was when i first set my raspberry plot o yes i set them to close your absolutely rite guys width between rows is most important :D

What width between rows did you find ok. 6ft sounds a bit excessive to be, I think Ive even seen 2.5m quoted somewhere!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 23:04 »
Surely this is all getting unnecessarily complicated!

A straight row of new raspberry canes will be about 6" across when planted, which when they grow will take up a couple of feet in width in the first year; if you've got long arms (and possibly gloves!) you only need access from one side to pick them at that point.

In subsequent years the canes will spread as far as you let them, but it's up to you how much space they finish up taking and how much access you need; they're not triffids and there's no rocket science involved here!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 09:46 »
6ft sounds a bit excessive to be, I think Ive even seen 2.5m quoted somewhere!

"Sounds excessive"? or "Is excessive based on your experience"?

You've asked for opinions, and you got some! There are no hard and fast rules in gardening, just experience of things that have worked for other people.

Up to you what you do, but personally speaking I like to try "textbook" first as I hate the time and energy wasted by failure and then the extra effort of having to make-good or put-right. Plenty of people here adopt a "have a go and learn from mistakes" approach though ...

gillie

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 11:30 »
Width between the rows is important.  Summer raspberries fruit quite low down on the canes.  You have to  bend over to pick them and need somewhere to put your backside.

rowlandwells

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2011, 18:16 »
Hi beaker141 i set my raspberries at around a meter width the canes where i have to say nearly touching thats why i'me going to post and wire the rows as i said for easier picking and give me a bit of space to work  :mellow:

what others do well that's down to them i speak only from experience my garden hero Geoff Hamilton says row widths 1.8 or 6ft in old money that's a quote from his book gardener world  :happy:

i hope this help beaker141 good luck :D :D

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2011, 11:52 »
There is a strong and clear recommendation from most of you experienced with raspberries that you do need 5 or 6 feet between rows, so that you can walk between rows for picking. Would this still be the recommendation even if only growing 2 rows. Do you need to access both sides of each row.

I am just growing two rows in my garden 12 canes in total ( plus one tayberry).  I don;t have space at the moment to grow them in a single row which might be a better long term solution. ( I am eyeing up the space currently occupied by my daughters climbing frame but that won't become available for a couple of years !!)

I'm growing them in half plastic dustbins with plenty drainage holes. One cane per dustbin. These are arranged in two rows touching each other but offset. A bit like this :

%%%%%%  ( ignoring lines !)

I was thinking of erecting a frame with 2 rows of wires ( about 18" apart) to tie them in as they go.

gillie

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2011, 14:33 »
What is the point of the dustbins?  Why not just plant them in the soil?

rowlandwells

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 16:14 »
gillie's rite why not plant them in the soil then put your wire up the rows the advantage of setting the rows 5ft apart is so you can keep them clean and for easier picking as raspberries tend to get overgrown with weeds and then become unmanageable  :)

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2011, 17:27 »
I don't want them to spread all over the garden, I had a severe bramble problem in the garden when we first moved here. They are next to an uncultivated area of the garden with couch grass, it will be easier to keep the dustbins weed free.

Also I intend moving them when the space comes available.

xx
Help! Growing Raspberries

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 10, 2012, 19:09
by gobs
xx
Non-growing raspberries

Started by julieanne1811 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 20, 2010, 20:47
by julieanne1811
xx
growing raspberries

Started by puffinstuff on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2011, 15:03
by JayG
xx
Growing raspberries in containers?

Started by heatherbur on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 21, 2008, 19:06
by Trillium

Page created in 0.479 seconds with 39 queries.