Non-growing raspberries

• 2 Replies

julieanne1811

Non-growing raspberries
« on: August 20, 2010, 18:40 »
I have had autumn raspberies in my garden for years. They were given to me by my aunt and have occupied several different locations in my garden, tolerating being moved aorund quite happily. However, they have been in their present position for a few years. Every year I cut them down in February and up they come again, giving lots and lots of large, delicous raspberries. Until this year. Cut down as usual, they seem healthy, with lots of green leaves, but they have only reached the height of 6 inches - and no rapsberries.

I have never watered them in the past - they seem highly tolerant of having no care whatsoever apart from the cutting down, so what's happened? Can anyone tell me how I can encourage them to do better next year?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Non-growing raspberries
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 18:47 »
Probably the drought in early summer; raspberries are shallow-rooted and dry out quickly (they are hard to actually kill but they're only human after all!).

Might not happen next year, but don't let them dry out, mulch to retain moisture, and at least a spring feed wouldn't go amiss either!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

julieanne1811

Re: Non-growing raspberries
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 20:47 »
Many many thanks - they will get some tender loving care between now and fruiting next year!

xx
Help! Growing Raspberries

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 10, 2012, 19:09
by gobs
xx
Growing raspberries

Started by Kim Taaffe on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post February 12, 2011, 17:27
by andtiggertoo
xx
growing raspberries

Started by puffinstuff on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2011, 15:03
by JayG
xx
Growing raspberries in containers?

Started by heatherbur on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 21, 2008, 19:06
by Trillium

Page created in 0.397 seconds with 39 queries.