Ashbourne has allotments!!!!

• 12 Replies

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
Ashbourne has allotments!!!!
« on: October 01, 2009, 19:03 »
I haven't been on for ages, because the Ashbourne Allotment Association that I helped to set up has been working really hard on getting the Derbyshire Dales District Council to give us some land... and they did - this was in yesterday's Ashbourne News Telegraph...

YOUR CHANCE TO DIG A PLOT
by GARETH BUTTERFIELD, ASHBOURNE NEWS TELEGRAPH
ALLOTMENTS are finally set to become available in Ashbourne, after a group set up to push for a land agreement won over the District Council.

An area of meadowland off Watery Lane, near to the Cemetery in Mayfield Road, will not only create 92 allotment plots, but also community-based plots, a wildlife pond, an orchard, communal storage facilities and a communal picnic area.

More than four acres have been handed over to the Ashbourne Allotment Association (AAA) on a 21 year lease, with a “peppercorn” rent that will enable the first tenants to secure a plot for £26 per year.

The group starts taking names for a waiting list from today and the land could be ready for use as soon as spring next year.

AAA chairman Richard Clark said: “ I am delighted at this very positive support from Derbyshire Dales District Council.

“We can now go ahead with our plans regarding the site.” The project was started after the association’s founder members, all Ashbourne residents, saw a letter in the News Telegraph highlighting the need for allotment space in the town.

Several people and organisations jumped on board to help the association, with Ashbourne Town Council and Ashbourne Partnership all offering support and helping to push plans forward.

Councillor Andrew Lewer, the leader of Derbyshire County Council, and Ashbourne Ward member of the Derbyshire Dales District Council has promised help with funding the work involved in changing the land in to allotments.

The next move is to draw up landscape architect plans and conduct an ecological survey, while seeking grant funding and planning permission for the development.

The land was owned by Nestle and snapped up by the district council in 2004 for the construction of a new store building to replace the Ashbourne Depot and to give them the option to extend Ashbourne Cemetery if required.

The store building is now in place and the land is large enough to accommodate all the group’s plans without compromising any future extension to the Cemetery.

Vice-Chairman of Derbyshire Dales District Council’s partnership and regeneration committee, councillor Albert Catt, said: “While the council had already fulfilled its statutory obligations for allotments in this area of the Dales, when this new group came to us asking for help, we examined all the options and are delighted to have achieved a positive result.”

The AAA, which will be responsible for the day-to-day running of the new facility, has commissioned church Street-based Architects Anthony Short and Partners to design the site.

To find out more, add yourself to the waiting list or offer help and support email aaamembership@ hotmail.co.uk or call in to the Leisure Centre to collect an application form.

DavidT

Re: Ashbourne has allotments!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 19:08 »
NOW the work starts.lol :D

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 19:23 »
Oh yeah!!   ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 19:40 »
well done for getting the council to give over the land :)

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 20:25 »
I just wanted you all to know that we start digging on 19 February 2011.  I AM THRILLED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 21:30 »
Congratulations to one and all  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 21:31 »
RESULT  :D

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 21:41 »
Yep, FINALLY!!!!!!

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
  • Green fingers come from brown first...
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 23:26 »
Congratulations from nearby Burton on Trent area - sounds lovely with the wildlife pond!
Supporting British farmers and growers ...it's never too late to start

green fingers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 21:10 »
Well done

my Dad was born in Ashbourne - some relatives still live there I believe :D

Brambles

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 21:20 »
Congratulations....    ENJOY  the coming years ahead.......  Well done   :D

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 08:01 »
Well done & happy gardening.Quite by chance I will be coming to Ashbourne in the near future as I've just signed on to a discount site & secured a nights stay for 2 at the Peveril of the Peak Hotel + dinner for £59.Hope it will be nice ,do you know it?I'll seek out the new allotments while I'm there.  :nowink:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

justviolet

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 16:56 »
Fantastic news!  :)

xx
new to allotments

Started by liliboots1 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 20, 2008, 18:42
by fatbelly
xx
New Allotments

Started by alfman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 25, 2009, 16:46
by Salkeela
xx
allotments.

Started by sam51 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 22, 2018, 07:25
by paul sadler
xx
ALLOTMENTS

Started by Crumbly Oldy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 24, 2011, 19:07
by Willie_Eckerslike

Page created in 0.413 seconds with 38 queries.