HELP council have weedkilled my garden borders

• 6 Replies

Rene

HELP council have weedkilled my garden borders
« on: May 07, 2011, 14:08 »
I just moved into this over 50's bungalow in January when the ground was covered in snow, all set for my retirement (in 10 years now as female age has gone up for us born 1954!) it has been a wait to see what lovely plants have been appearing as they come into season, gorgeous tulips and a border filled with all sorts of established hardy annuals, aqualisas all over the place self seeding and forgetemnots too, a weed to some but not to me.
 An old lady lived here before me and the whole row of bungalows has the grass cut/torn up and hedges trimmed/hacked. i mentioned to the neighbours i might cancel mine as i am fit enough, they said it would be hard to get back on the list when i got older if i did that. well sod that, i will find help from one of my offspring by then i hope as I am not having the carnage the council guys pass for ~"gardening".  >:(
I saw one of the council "gardeners" last week and told him i had bought a mower and had cut my own but wanted to stay on the list, reason mentioned above, they've been on Thursday while i was at work. cut the bit i said not to bother with as i was uplifting anyway to plant up with flowers and herbacious border stuff and they have gone round all the edges with weedkiller which has just become apparent this morning, theyve got it all over the plants in the borders as some of the flowers and foliage are turning brown. WHAT CAN I DO???  :ohmy:
I planted some climbing roses in March, some of their leaves are also dying off, i had some things in pots that i wasnt sure if they were going to grow but would give them a couiple of weeks to show some life before complaining tothe S' Seed company i bought them from, they were Rose' grape vine, goji berry and a blue berry bush had some leaves just coming but theyve been killed off too i think.
i know nothing about weedkiller, i hate the stuff and wont use it except for on a path perhaps or paint it on the dandelions in the lawn.
if i go out in the rain and dig out the dead bits of lawn edging and pick off the deadening leaves on plant things will that save them?

i am so upset about all this I am almost wishing the B'stard who did it has a bad pint this weekend!  :mad:

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: HELP council have weedkilled my garden borders
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 14:50 »
Oh dear! :( I hope you manage to get the council sorted out, meantime I've moved this into the gardening board so that people can answer your specific questions.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

tinlizzy

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 11:40 »
You need to get onto the council and put in a complaint, also contact your District , town or city councillor and get them to sort it out for you.   Do it as soon as possible while the plants are dying off.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 13:43 »
I agree with tinlizzy, I would take lots of 'photos, and insist that the Council sent somebody round to inspect the damage done.   Lets hope it was just a little drift of killer and the plants will recover.

I don't trust the council men at all, and make sure that the pavements, and big wide verges,are  mown and weed treated by myself.  They have got the hang now and skirt round my bit.  Good Luck,  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 13:51 »
The roadside verges are cut by a roads department council worker with an attachment on a tractor in the summer round here. We had sculpted/flattened the top of the bank leading onto the verge in front of our house before we planted a young hedge. I came home from work one day that summer and said to OH "Where's the hedge?".

We've since put up a fence and have a new young hedge trying to establish.

:dry:

Rene

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 22:46 »
hi, thanks for all your replies,
Spoke to one of them said he didnt do it and would tell other lads,i did take photos last week and have put up a sign saying no more weedkiller in my garden to remind them as theyre due again about thursday but i'll be at work. ive edged all round the grass and picked off most of the dead stuff on the flowers in the borders, roses dont seem to be getting any worse 
I put some nasturtium and sweetpea seeds in one of the borders to see if they come up then i'll know if its safe to put anything else in rather than put any plants in there yet, will just have to grow the herbs in pots till the stuff get washed out the ground and keep the lillies that have just come up in their big pots too and maybe put them in at the end of the season for next year. am busy with the lotment too after work so the garden will happen a bit at a time as i do it all myself.  ::)

cooked

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 10:24 »
Hi! I was once very wicked and put iron spikes in a (naturally) flowery embankment that a neighbour used to scythe to feed his rabbits without asking. I wouldn't suggest that you do such a thing of course..
David

xx
Perenials for borders

Started by Jamie Butterworth on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post February 20, 2011, 19:07
by Jamie Butterworth
xx
making flower borders

Started by earthing83 on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post March 04, 2010, 10:42
by stompy
xx
Pictures of Your Flower/Shrub Beds/Borders/Pots

Started by garddwr on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post September 07, 2008, 09:00
by Christine
xx
Me 2 Council still 0

Started by lightyears on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post October 05, 2008, 08:16
by Knight Family

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 35 queries.