Duck feathers

• 7 Replies

Springlands

Duck feathers
« on: May 13, 2011, 07:54 »
Our new ducks are pure white and when they flap their wings lots of feathers fly off. The local sparrows have discovered this and are lining up to pick up the feathers for their nests - we are going to have designer nests this year.  :D :D

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Duck feathers
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 08:26 »
Luxury sparrow's nests! :D Ours have to make do with manky old sheeps wool. ::) :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

evie2

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 09:41 »
We have some fluffy rabbits who are groomed every day, so that's what's lining the nests round here :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 23:18 »
Before I got chickens I used to put out all kinds of things for the wild birds to use in their nests.  We have a lichen-covered old plum tree that seems a favourite for the birds to collect lichen and use it in their nests.  So I used to hang off-cuts of thread from sewing in the tree, and any bits of fluff off woolly jumpers etc.

My Dear Old Grandma had long hair.  When she brushed it she used to take the hair off her brush and throw it out the window into her garden so the birds could use the hair to line their nests.  I think that's a lovely idea!  :)

Since having chickens I have a constant battle with wild birds eating their food.  The birds and I have fallen out and are no longer friends.  :dry:

Springlands

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 11:03 »
Hi Lindeggs - when I cut my OH's hair he will not let me put his hair out for the birds - his mother used to tell him that if the birds used his hair for nesting material he would get migranes.  ::) ::)

We used to have problems with the birds eating the hens food so we got one of the covered treadle feeders. Now that we have the ducks however they feed from an open feeder so we have the birds eating the ducks food - but I do not mind too much - it is nice to see them.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 23:40 »
A lot of cultures believe that if a piece of your hair falls into the wrong hands it can be used to cause you harm, a bit like a voodoo doll.  That's why lots of people won't cut their har or fingernails outside, or cut them at night.  My mother was a hairdresser many years ago and some clients would ask her to sweep up all their hair so they could take it away and dispose of it.

I'm dropping hints that I would like a treadle feeder for my birthday in June.  I don't know if the message is getting through to Santa Claus/the Tooth Fairy/ the Easter Bunny or whoever it is who's in charge of these things.

Springlands

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 10:58 »
Pictures of said item placed in strategic places with a post-it note stating that SOMEONE would really love one of these for their birthday. Might work - might not.  :lol: :lol:

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 11:09 »
Ah yes, that's a nice subtle approach that might just work!  ;)

xx
Losing feathers!

Started by Brenda Babes on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post November 09, 2011, 08:25
by joyfull
xx
Molly has new feathers!!!

Started by redmolly on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post November 03, 2010, 19:31
by redmolly
xx
losing feathers

Started by dugless on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post August 09, 2012, 15:59
by Beano
xx
Never mine the Footie what about the Feathers??

Started by hillfooter on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 18:03
by Bonniebean

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 34 queries.