Red Knee Tarantula

• 61 Replies

Bluedave

• Experienced Member
Re: Red Knee Tarantula
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2009, 07:40 »
Your son sounds like a Buddist in the making, you never know if you'll come back as a hornet! lol

Yep, me Dad feeds them crickets mostly - we used to collect grass hoppers in the summer when I lived at home (a long long time ago!) occasionally they have taken moths and worms as well but it depends on the individual spider. Worms is great to watch, just like spaghetti  :ohmy: :D

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2009, 09:01 »
Sorry, not checked the thread.

Tode and Jellyhead: Sidney eats locusts and (if I can get them) pinkies. Garfield, the red knee, eats crickets.

What else was there..? Erm...

Jellyhead: your lad sounds like a good 'un!

Dave: Loving your dad's Ts, mate!

wighty

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2009, 20:23 »
Right that's it, my bi-annual visit to Cowes is now cancelled.  Can't go near those big things,  Contamination curtains are now called down.  If your parents can0t come east I can't go to Cowes! :D

Jellyhead

« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2009, 11:16 »
Thanks Scabs 8) So, in your opinion, what if anything, could I get him to keep in his bedroom, that he can handle, albeit only a little, that is vegetarian ???
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

scabs

« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2009, 11:56 »
The obvious one that spring to mind is a young tortoise...

Plus points: Hardy if looked after properly, veg eater, long-lived so will be in the family forever!, lovely little characters, generally fine with being handled.

Downside: Expensive, needs proper viv conditions, will outgrow tank over time, need constant care in terms of cleaning out, feeding and fresh water provision, as well as vitamin provision; long-lived and therefore a commitment.

An Iguana or Water Dragon are cheaper and have similar for and against points...

I'd take a trip to your nearest exotic pet store and let the lad have a look around, chat with the staff and see what he thinks...

Last time I went, they had Pygmy Hedgehogs. Super expensive but so beautiful - good job I'm skint!  :lol:

Jellyhead

« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2009, 12:03 »
luckily I dont have the same access to stores like that here ;) however, how bizarre, a lady I know that fosters cats and dogs for a rescue org. also breeds tortoises. She had loads of youngsters there when I went to see her and oddly enough I emailed her this morning to see if she was going to sell/rehome any of them as a good friend of mine (very responsible animal person) has wanted a tortoise for years and I wanted one (or more) as a 40th present for her... I am waiting for her reply. However, I think he would prefer and Iguana or Water Dragon, can you recommend a good book or website as I NEVER take anything on unless I know how to look after it PROPERLY :D

tode

« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2009, 12:06 »
How about an African Grey, Jellyhead ?

Bluedave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2009, 12:58 »
what about fish?

scabs

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2009, 13:01 »
Tode: HIGH aintenance, take it from one who knows!  :D

Dave: Bit dull for a young un..

Jellyhead: Too many to list, but a good google will give you all you need to know!  ;)

Jellyhead

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2009, 13:05 »
Regards African Greys, I dont like birds in cages, never have done, also just got a new customer for Parrot food, she breeds African Greys and sells them cheaper than the shops ;) for 950 euros :ohmy:  :nowink:
We also kept Tropical fish and aquatic frogs before we moved out here, loved them but wouldnt keep them again....she says ???

So, thanks for the suggestions and perhaps I will google some things and also check out supplies of foodstuff for when we do get something. Will keep you all posted............ meanwhile gonna post some piccies of the baby Guinea Pigs, born last night I think :D

scabs

« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2009, 15:09 »
 :)

tode

« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2009, 15:58 »
Jellyhead: you don't have to keep em locked in prison   ;)

And you can't talk to a tortoise (or a tarantula). Well, I s'pose you could, but he wouldn't answer back  :D

The price is a bit b*m-tightening though.  All animals are expensive, now though.

Costs less to get married  :lol:   :lol:

scabs

« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2009, 16:38 »
Some tortoise prices are edging toward parrot prices, it's scary. Those hedgehogs were nearly £300 a pair...  :ohmy:

Jellyhead

« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2009, 18:43 »
just had reply, she wants 75 euros each tortoise :D

scabs

« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2009, 21:36 »
That's pretty reasonable, what species?

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 36 queries.