poultry shield cost effectiveness

• 12 Replies

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« on: October 03, 2008, 17:03 »
just used this stuff for the first time. Since im dealing with an infestation i was going for the higher strength dilution of 20%

now, a 20% solution means that a 1litre bottle dilutes to 5lites. I used instead about half the bottle to give a 10% solution (1/2litre to 5lite) and cleaning the coop out needed about 3 1/2 litres of the solution. Now at £10 a litre, plus £4 postage thats quite an expensive solution!

I have to admit, i was impressed by the way it stripped the sh, sorry dirt from the house, and most of the mites that it seemed to drive out did seem to be taking it badly!

so, once the infestation has been cleared, how often do you people use this stuff? do you use it every time, like once a week, or only when the mites are in evidence?

How effective do you find it? how many resprays usually does it take to erradicate the little tykes?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

poultrygeist

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 17:10 »
By cost-effectiveness, are you comparing it to another product ?

Or just the overall cost of the stuff ?

I bought a litre back in early summer and have only mixed up 2 or 3 500ml 10% batches in the sprayer but haven't been visited by demons yet.

I know there has been mention of very expensive but very effective products on previous threads. Would be good ot have an appraisal of each. If frequent applications are needed, maybe it would get over-expensive.

Interesting thread Zak.

Rob 8)

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 17:24 »
indeed, thats just it. I dont mind the cost if its as effective as its touted to be.

As an example of the other end, Jeyes fluid is a few quid for a stonking big tin, but the mites seem to just have a bath in it! result being a few drowned mites, and loads of nice clean ones :lol:  :cry:

Admittedly, this time ive given the coop a heck of a soaking, making sure it was well into the cracks, and perhaps next time it will only need a light spraying.

It does show though how sensible it is to buy in bulk this sort of thing. It was £10 for a litre, or £18 for 5lites, a huge saving! Likewise with the diatom.

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 17:27 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"

I bought a litre back in early summer and have only mixed up 2 or 3 500ml 10% batches in the sprayer but haven't been visited by demons yet.

Rob 8)

what sort of coop have you Rob? im wondering if the small batches you've used have been suitable effective in controlling them before they get established? If so, then obviously prevention is more cost effective than cure!

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 17:39 »
We've just not seen any at all. I don't think our coop would fair well if we do get them.

As I understand it. jeyes is a disinfectant and will only kill viruses and (presumably) bacteria but to kill red mite, you need to dissolve or scratch the waxy coating on the mites, as well as the eggs to dessicate them.

I want to stock up on diatom for next year as an added defence if any turn up. The obvious dangers of all of us blitzing them with something really strong is the evolution of a super-mite. Kill off the weedy ones and the average ones, and you're left with a breeding population of the armour plated ones. I like the sound of diatom and poultryshield to some extent because they are slow, methodical, gentle acting products.

The downside is, you either use them as a preventative and stand the cost or wait a week or more for any effect after you find them. :?

Rob 8)

poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 17:42 »
btw, the coop is about 3ft square on 2ft legs with a ridged roof and freestanding perches. We poo-pick every (most) days and top up shavings and straw and clean out when needed, which is not very often. I check pretty regularly for anything untoward.

The inside is untreated, the outside a wax-based wickes treatment.

shiplap cladding on a scrap 1.5"x2" scrap and 2x1 frame. Removable nest box and side for cleaning.

Rob 8)

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 17:44 »
yes, if i'd thought about it i would have gone for the prevention. I recon its cheaper in the long run and far less hassle. Add into the equation the energy and water costs of all the showers and baths ive had to get the beggers out of me hair... eeuuurrgh!

diatoms good, ive seen its effects. You can put a load in your hand and rub it into the underside of perches and the like

yes the Jeyes has no real effect on them. I think the Poultry shield, being in effect a detergent, disrupts the wax. And it makes the coop nice and clean. However its not a foamless detergent so cares needed when mixing it so as not to end up with a load of foam :lol:

poultrygeist

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 17:46 »
yes. noticed that when mixing up  :)

also, no residual effect with PS. Once it dries, it's gone.

Rob 8)

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 18:01 »
diatom will still eradicate 'the supermite' as it will still scratch it and dehydrate it to death.

having cleared redmite im currently still spraying weekly with poultry sheild and the girls (and fella) now think that a dust shower with diatom is fun as theyve been through the drill so often.

personally i dont care what it costs, as the redmite really pulled them down.

they are now laying loads and are in fantastic condition, and no ones started moulting yet.

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 18:15 »
Thats smashing Babe, nice to hear its working well

Only problem i have with diatom is that it aggrevates my throat condition ( a horrible dry cough ) which as best can be established was in fact originally caused by a diatom powder :evil:

Many years back, when i was with the TA, i inadvertently ended up inhaling a load of fullers earth decontamination powder, trouble is cant prove that was the cause !

i'll have to invest in some dust masks. I still have my issued S10 respirator, but that might look a bit like im a MAFF vet if i wear that! :D

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 18:16 »
Quote from: "poultrygeist"
yes. noticed that when mixing up  :)

also, no residual effect with PS. Once it dries, it's gone.

Rob 8)

isnt there supposed to be some residual effect on the mites?

poultrygeist

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 18:35 »
I think poultryshield only acts as a detergent as you say. Once it dries, it doesn't coat them.

I'm def going to buy some diatom. And I'll take note of the breathing issues. I breath in all sorts I shouldn't so I'd better start taking care.

As Babe says, diatom is the best method since it's non-discriminatory. If it moves and has a soft shell, it gets scratched up. I liked the sound of that since I first read about it on here.

And of course, it's harmless to the chickens and, externally, us too. :)

Havign said all this, I'm talking blind because I've never seen a mite, but if Babe endorses it, it's what I'm going for  :)

Rob 8)

dawnsmith

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 19:55 »
Cost effective?
In my opinion, the poultry shield and diatom are great as a preventative measure. But when we actually got mites, we were using so much of the stuff, spraying everyday, for several weeks. We were probably spending £15 - £20 per week on poultry shield and diatom, and I don't know how much on bedding - which we changed everyday, and the wood chips on the floor of the run - we decided the mites were being washed out of the coop and onto the floor, where they could hide until dark then crawl back into the coop when the chooks went to bed  :evil: Also of course, it's very time intensive - at least an hour a day every day!
We eventually bought some Mitex, which is pretty toxic. It cleared our coop of mites in one application. With VAT and postage, it cost £8. It was only a tiny cannister, but worth every penny.
I still use the poulrty shield and diatom though in the hope that they'll catch any new ones that try to move in  :shock:
Dawn
x

xx
poultry shield

Started by barley on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 15, 2014, 23:45
by cbv8
xx
Poultry shield

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 13:05
by Ma Lowe
xx
Where to buy Poultry Shield?

Started by RoyMK on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 25, 2009, 18:05
by RoyMK
xx
Poultry Shield etc in NI.

Started by susan - happy hens on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 25, 2010, 13:54
by carolbriar

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 28 queries.