Can you grow your own Tobacco ?

• 6 Replies

vegmandan

« on: June 18, 2008, 22:18 »
OK, I know I'm stupid being a smoker but I was wondering if there is any chance of growing my own tobacco and if anyone might know where i might get any seeds from.? :shock:

compostqueen

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 23:00 »
When I was a kid I was always with my dad on the plot and on his site there were loads of Italians and Hungarians and they all grew their own tobacco and had all these ramshackle wooden drying sheds with the tobacco leaves hanging in there.  I expect you would have to pay Gordon the tax on it  :lol:  They say it's like growing tomatoes but I don't know cos never grown it. Apparently seed is easy to buy  :D

Motivator

• Experienced Member
    • http://Napit.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 23:06 »
Hello this looks like the site you need .

http://www.coffinails.com/
Digging ,Growing ,& the sport of kings.

vegmandan

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 00:41 »
Cheers.

That's the stuff,just checked it out,cheers .

They seem to have run out of Golden Virginia.... :lol:  :lol:

Gordon won't get a penny,like brewing your own beer. :D  :D  :D

gobs

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 04:49 »
Yes, like tomato, is only as much true, as say, for aubergine. They need warmer. Frosts and wet can damage crops.

As you have plenty of time till next growing season, it'd be worth to look out for varieties, as this will mean a diff to length of season, size, soil needs and quality. Also, once you have seed, the world is your oyster as it's viable for 10 years at least. Most commonly grown are the rough and robust - Virginia :?: types -, from which you can harvest 20-40 leaves a season, if you have one, that is.

They germinate well around 25C, where I'm from, used to be sown in March and planted out in May at about 5-7 leave stage. Then they need 3-5 months, depending to full harvest, which starts in July. Continuous harvest, leaves are not ready at the same time.  So you might think of a poly or gh as they aren't really frost hardy.

Starts flowering in June time, flowers are cut off, unless for seed and plants are side shooted. It's a good idea to use gloves for handling the plants at these later stages as nicotine, what have you not else in them, is readily absorbed through skin. Young plants are unlikely to have much as it's produced in the roots.

The bottom 3-5 leaves are not harvested. Break the leaves off when they lose colour, thread them - used to do back to front, no idea why - and were hung in sheds or dried in pollys. Care must be taken that fungi don't set in during drying.

Good luck. :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 06:40 »
Quote from: "Motivator"
Hello this looks like the site you need .

http://www.coffinails.com/

A very aptly named site too  :roll:

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 14:30 »
One thing few tobacco growers realize is that the tobacco growing area is unuseable to other plants for several years. It contains the tobacco mosaic virus which is toxic to other plants. You'd have to keep a dedicated spot forever, which in an allotment is unfair to future renters. Before the next crop can be planted, the ground must be either chemically sprayed or steamed to kill fungi and viruses which will affect the tobacco's next growth season.

In Ontario, tobacco is grown only in the warmest and longest growing areas because it's so very frost sensitive. And those areas are now shutting down, partly to the reduced demand for tobacco, partly to the growing need for edible crops in quickly diminishing designated farming areas. Prime farmlands and orchards are quickly turning into housing monsters  :cry:

xx
tobacco ??

Started by twysted1 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 02, 2007, 19:53
by Redwellies
xx
Tobacco tea as a bug killer?

Started by I Love Spuds on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 13, 2014, 13:26
by Aunt Sally
xx
anyone tried growing tobacco?

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 22, 2014, 20:46
by 3 allotments
xx
tobacco seeds

Started by flatcap on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 07, 2007, 21:06
by Axe Victim

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 36 queries.