anyone tried growing tobacco?

• 13 Replies

3759allen

anyone tried growing tobacco?
« on: March 20, 2014, 20:25 »
not sure if this is in the right section, i'm sure someone will be kind enough to move it if it's not.

anyway, just a quick question as title suggests.

has anyone tried growing their own tobacco?

i'm looking into it for next year and would appreciate anyone's experience of cultivating the stuff. any good links would be appreciated, any experiences of what varieties are good (especially for the UK).

i'll be looking at growing a small crop in my poly tunnel (debating between sweetcorn and tobacco) in a corner that will not affect the light or heat for the other crops.

also looking for anyone's experience or tips about drying and curing. i've had a quick look at one site about curing and seems a bit faffy and consumes a lot of electricity.

i know what people will be thinking about the legality of cultivating tobacco. from what i've read it is legal as long as it is for personal consumption (not to be sold).

thanks for any replies.

Trillium

Re: anyone tried growing tobacco?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 21:07 »
Don't grow it myself since I don't smoke, but I do know that it requires a fairly warm growing season, which is why in my province it was grown only in the warmest southern corner. The growers built special drying barns as it does take a long time to properly cure the harvested leaves.

And once you've grown tobacco, the soil cannot be used for anything else for several years (nicotine root poisoning) unless you steam the soil. I recall the Amish people who grew it as a cash crop had to also steam the ground before planting time to prevent a lot of disease problems.

More info HERE

3759allen

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 21:52 »
thanks for the reply.

i will look into the poisoning of the soil issue. maybe large pots sunk into the ground might be in order. although i wouldn't have to use the space until the same crop the next year so may not be necessary.

the tunnel gets pretty hot for quite a long time (grew rip melons in there last year). also read somewhere that they prefer hot humid conditions, so hoping will be ok. i have also read about people having some success (although smaller crop) outside in the uk. i am in one of the hottest for longest parts of the uk so hoping this may improve my chances.

excellent link very helpful.

please keep replies coming. i've got almost a year to mull the research over so will carry on browsing for more info.

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 22:04 »
My grandad used to grow his own tobacco in the 1950s in his greenhouse in North Yorkshire. I can remember seeing it hanging up to dry in the garage. He's been long gone so I can't ask him about curing, etc. but he was working at the time and managed to fit it in around that, keeping chickens and growing fruit and veg.

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 23:39 »
Never mind the growing - this might be a problem!
http://www.freesmoking.co.uk/moreinfoUK.html
Seems the taxman might be interested so don't upset the neighbours :D

3759allen

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 21:18 »
thanks for the that link. i shall have to look into the legality of it further. all the searches i looked up said it you didn't have to pay the duty.

might have known the tax man would have cottoned on to people being thrifty and looking after them selves with a bit of hard work.

the air we breath will be on the taxable list next. lol

i'll leave it there before i get all political and start ranting otherwise i'll be here for hours. lol

sam51

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 21:31 »
thanks for the that link. i shall have to look into the legality of it further. all the searches i looked up said it you didn't have to pay the duty.

might have known the tax man would have cottoned on to people being thrifty and looking after them selves with a bit of hard work.

the air we breath will be on the taxable list next. lol

i'll leave it there before i get all political and start ranting otherwise i'll be here for hours. lol

have a go mate. I make me own beer and wine.
sell the wine to friends and family, to cover the cost,
upp the tax man.

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 21:46 »

Dead easy to grow,no pun intended, BUT it is nearly impossible to "cure".

A few years ago an old chap grew a marvellous crop on his allotment , but it all went mouldy on him!

He thought he did not have enough heat and good circulation of air to get it dried properly!

And then it's only fit for a pipe!

Cheers!
STOP, and smell the roses!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 22:14 »
These forums would never recommend trying to evade paying tax.  So please make sure that you find out what the law is before making any decisions.

This UK site says that you can grow as much as you like so long as you don't intend to sell it.  So I presume that tax must be paid if you sell it:

http://www.tobaccoseed.co.uk/Growing_Tobacco.html

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 07:41 »
If you can grow tomato's you can grow tobacco. I have grown it for 4 years now. and yes you should pay tax on it if you process it. I grow it as a hobby and collect the seeds, these are then donated into an American seedbank. You can cure the leaf quite easy over here but it depends on the plant strain you are growing.
It is not to late to start them off as you can not plant out until  all risk of all frost has gone. If you require seeds just PM me and I Will pop some in the post for you. I use Aztec tobacco solution for a organic pesticide spray.

Just a word of warning some strains can get up to 10 ft tall and they need lots of feed to grow well.

All the information and help you require can be found in the link below.

http://fairtradetobacco.com/forum.php
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 07:49 by Markw »
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

Nobbie

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 09:20 »
These forums would never recommend trying to evade paying tax.  So please make sure that you find out what the law is before making any decisions.

This UK site says that you can grow as much as you like so long as you don't intend to sell it.  So I presume that tax must be paid if you sell it:

http://www.tobaccoseed.co.uk/Growing_Tobacco.html

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageExcise_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000268&propertyType=document#P123_14905

This link explains that duty is payable even if you don't sell it, but the impression I get is that HMRC really aren't that interested unless you start selling it and are not pro-actively investigating the customer list of Tobaccoseed.co.uk which would be the obvious first step if they cared.

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 19:53 »
I have grown it a couple of times tried, smoking it and kept getting heart palpatations :ohmy: so that was that :lol:
diggity dig dig

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 20:12 »
I have grown it a couple of times tried, smoking it and kept getting heart palpatations :ohmy: so that was that :lol:

Thats a reason not to do it if ever there was one.
Ps is it your birthday you have a cake following you. If it is happy birthday

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 20:46 »
Hi bq yes it is my birthday  today thank you for the cake  :D

xx
im interested in growing tobacco,help anyone?

Started by king cauli on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 10, 2007, 21:17
by king cauli
xx
tobacco ??

Started by twysted1 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 02, 2007, 19:53
by Redwellies
xx
tobacco seeds

Started by flatcap on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 07, 2007, 21:06
by Axe Victim
xx
Tobacco plants

Started by Alank on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 30, 2023, 16:29
by AndyRVTR

Page created in 0.477 seconds with 36 queries.