Having a plot taken away?

• 28 Replies

bazh

• Experienced Member
Re: Having a plot taken away?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 09:09 »
Ours clearly states you have to live within the parish boundary to qualify for a plot.

But even so, having paid for the plot for the year, I would not expect to have to give up the plot now! Surely you have to be allowed to stay until harvest time.

I agree they've paid for the year and invested time and money in there crops, even if someone leaves our site in January the plot does not become available until September when it's money due time it's a daft idea, I took my new plot over the September even though the previous owner was pushing up daisies in June!
Faff free zone!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 12:00 »
This is the "usual" clause put into tenancy agreements:

The tenant must reside within one mile of the outer boundary of the allotment authority. If a tenant is permitted to reside outside this boundary, the Council may give 12 months notice if the allotment is required for a new tenant who lives within the boundary.

So speak to the authority and negotiate.

yorky

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 19:48 »
Totty, after reading your post several times I am still unclear as to who is saying that they must leave the plot. Is it someone with any authority? Or is it just the opinion of some of the other plot holders? If the latter, then they are entitled to their opinion just as you are entitled to ignore it.
Sets a low standard and fails to achieve it.

snowdrops

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 19:53 »
Tha'ts just what I said yesterday Yorky,it seems that allotment sites have lots of people who like to express their opinions at every opportunity but it doesn't make them right.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Judd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 20:20 »
I can't see the problem,if there is nothing written in the rules stipulating you have to live within certain boundaries just tell them where to go!
I know I would >:(
It's better to burn out than to fade away !!     ;)

Totty

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 08:53 »
It is one plot holder who has always made clear that they would like two plots (wouldnt we all) and i think its more of a jealousy thing which has then been poked in the direction of the chairwoman. Im having a meeting with her this morning so will let you know how we get on.

Totty

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 09:31 »
Good luck  ;)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 10:01 »
Good luck !

You still have not told us who the allotment authority is !

stompy

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 10:04 »
Is there a waiting list?
If so i wouldn't let the tennant who wants 2 plots have it  :mad:
Greedy so and so!

Hope it goes well  ;)

P.S. if you guys are both on the comitee then surely you have some strong say in what happens!

TheSpartacat

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2012, 16:41 »
It is one plot holder who has always made clear that they would like two plots (wouldnt we all) and i think its more of a jealousy thing which has then been poked in the direction of the chairwoman. Im having a meeting with her this morning so will let you know how we get on.

Totty

Ah, then as per my hunch it probably does appear to that person that while they weren't allowed two plots, you effectively have two plots at the moment because you're working on your parents one.
Looking at it from their pov, it might seem that there's different rules for different people, esp since you're on the committee. They might even be suspicious that your mother never intended to work the plot/ that she put her name down so you could have two? (which i'm absolutely not implying you did, but people can be pretty cynical these days)

Even still, based on there being no rule against it, there's no reason for your mother to give up her plot unless specified, but it might be helpful negotiating all this with what i've said in mind, about how it might appear to others. Being honest open and frank is about all you can do, and hope that they can put themselves in your shoes, having invested money time and effort, and wanting to see some return for that.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 16:42 by TheSpartacat »

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2012, 20:48 »
does seem a bit dodo to take it off them for moving out a bit.

And thank god there is no anal rule about our allotment: early last yr I moved about 10 miles away from allotment (was 2 miles away) and no way was I even thinking about giving p the plot after 3 years of building it up, and fortunately there was no such nonsense about parish boundaries.....and 10 miles is 15mins away at most: quicker than my neighbour who has no car and has to get a bus for just 3 miles...

Mind you, get a few petty people who love a bit of power in their lives and all sorts of nonsence can happen

Good luck with this though. I hope the mad power people see sense...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2012, 21:11 »
If the allotment authority is a Parish Council it can be quite tricky for them.  Most parishes are quite small and a house move can easily put you over a mile outside their boundary.

Local government law says that money raised  by the parish council (i.e. precept on the rates) must be spent for the benefit of the parish residents.  Why should anyone outside the parish benefit from the rates paid by parish residents.

This is why I keep asking who the allotment authority is and suggesting that Totty needs to speak to them and negotiate keeping the plot until already planted crops are harvested.

If they are definitely not permitted to stay, compensation should be paid for crops now on the plot.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 21:12 by Aunt Sally »

Totty

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2012, 17:28 »
All sorted now. Chatted with chair on Sunday and she said the same as everybody else. She has paid up, planted stuff, invested time in clearing and digging over the plot and money in buying seed etc. My mother is going to hand the plot back in September after having at least one seasons worth of crop. Thanks for all your posts.
 Every cloud........

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 17:43 »
I'm glad it was sorted out so easily....let the whingers moan, it's all sorted  ;)

xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
My First Plot - Plot 21 is confirmed

Started by SCassin on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 15:04
by Yorkie
xx
A new plot again!

Started by Caddi fuller-teabags on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 07, 2008, 16:46
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
new plot taken on

Started by fastmonkey85 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 10, 2010, 09:26
by DD.

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 39 queries.