Having a plot taken away?

• 28 Replies

Totty

Having a plot taken away?
« on: January 19, 2012, 20:20 »
Hi all,

Long story short... My mother and step father moved to our village, got on the allotment list and got a plot on the same site as ours.
 It was a mess so initially myself and my mother started clearing it, when my step father was taken ill with MRSA. I continued getting their plot ready for them while he was recovering.
 They have now had to moved closer to my mothers work as my step father can no longer work himself. They have had the plot since the start of september and are fully paid up, now some plot holders are saying they should have the plot taken off of them, and offered elsewhere. My mother has planted all of her garlic already and between us, we agreed that all of the seeds/bulbs etc, that she has brought can be planted this year and ill water and weed it when i go up. We share the harvests and come september she will hand her plot back. She would like the chance to see some benefit from her work while clearing the plot and buying seeds.

There is nothing written in the constitution at all about people having to hand there plot back if they move a couple of miles.
 Just all seems a bit harsh really.
Any thoughts? :)

Christo

• Spring has Sprung!
Re: Having a plot taken away?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 20:30 »
Seems very harsh to me. Will be interesting to see the responses you get to see if there is a legal position. Seems strange that they should have to give up the plot though. Good luck with it.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 20:33 »
It would seem to me that unless the other plotholders are in charge they can say what they like but it is not up to them.You need to get a list of the rules.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Totty

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 20:57 »
My fiance is the secretary and there is nothing in the rules at all.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 21:00 »
Speak to your allotment authority (whoever you pay rent to).

Our tenancy agreement states we must live within the parish boundary.  A couple of tenants live about half a mile outside of it but they were already tenants before the rule was introduced.

Totty

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 21:04 »
Our association is very small really there is only 15 plots. we are both on the commitee so not sure who else to speak to really. There is nothing in the rules that says anything about being able to keep plot or where you need to live etc etc. I think its petty when they are prepared to hand the plot back in september.

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 21:04 »
I would think that since the plot is well maintained and the fee paid for the year, that your parents should retain the plot until Sept, then be expected to give it up. Since there's nothing specific in the rules, I would fight for those reasons.

Usually people want someone bumped out due to non-maintenance of the plot. At your lotty, it sounds more like jealous griping and people hoping to ride the backs of others labours quickly.

Totty

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 21:08 »
My thoughts exactly Trillium!

allot2learn

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 21:28 »
Seeing as you are both committee members, I would speak to the rest of them and try to gather some support from within. As chair of our assoc. I find that we can resolve most problems without taking it outside the gate.

Good luck with it.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 21:29 »
Speak to your allotment authority !

TheSpartacat

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 21:34 »
Agree with everyone else.
If there's nothing in the rules, then i don't see why they technically couldn't hold onto the plot beyond Sept either, if they chose to. Our site has people from all over, neighbouring boroughs etc, I have to travel an hour by public transport to get there, which is a choice for me to make, not someone else? And plot owners are allowed to have a family member/friend help them, and can even get an additional key for that purpose. (but they are responsible for that person)

If your parents are far enough away to not be able to get to the plot at all, it sounds like your plot neighbours are jealous at you 'appearing' to have two plots, since you are working on both, which i can understand that if there is a rule of only one plot per person... but there are a lot of people up and down the country who have one plot per spouse as well.

You might be able to appease them if your Mum gets down more often in the Summer to show face and do some harvesting? Are there any plot owners on your site who have a family member help them with their plots? Perhaps they would support you also?

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 21:36 »
If your sure that there is nothing stated in the tenancy agreement about living within the parish then I guess you have a good argument for them to hold onto it until September. Ours clearly states you have to live within the parish boundary to qualify for a plot.
Faff free zone!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 22:27 »
Ours clearly states you have to live within the parish boundary to qualify for a plot.

But even so, having paid for the plot for the year, I would not expect to have to give up the plot now! Surely you have to be allowed to stay until harvest time.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 22:31 »
That's why they need to talk to there allotment authority.  They may well be able to negotiate something.

sarajane

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 23:55 »
We have people fron 10 miles away and more on our site and no one has a problem

Could it be that the 'powers that be' on your site have someone more local who would like to take up a plot that has been nicely cultivated come september.

Seriouly check it with your council to ensure they are not just pulling a 'fast one'

xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
My First Plot - Plot 21 is confirmed

Started by SCassin on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 15:04
by Yorkie
xx
My Plot So far.

Started by GaryH on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 29, 2008, 18:20
by allotmentvegigirl
xx
What and how to use a new plot?

Started by Green man on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 10, 2009, 15:46
by matthew2riches

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 40 queries.