Hello everyone we just got our first plot!

• 11 Replies

muddy86

Hello everyone we just got our first plot!
« on: August 02, 2010, 20:45 »
Hi everyone, we have just got our first plot. But its really over grown with waist high grass!! what's the best way to get to the earth again? any tools or machinery would be best to clear the plot your advice would be so grateful  :)

« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 10:20 by muddy86 »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Hello everyone we just got our first plot!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 20:55 »
Hi muddy and welcome.

There is lots of helpful advice on here, including articles about dealing with a new plot in the buttons at the top of the page -try Growing Help- and in the threads in the Growing Forums -- stickies  :D :D

Little and often, don't try to do it all at once -- good luck with your new plot  :D :D

Oh, and photos before and after to share your success are essentiAL too  :D :D :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Dave Mack

• Zillionaire
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 21:00 »
Hiya , welcome to the forums ... enjoy  :)

peterjf

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 23:36 »
strim it , dig it , if you have time,  round up it when grass starts to show , follow instruction then dig again and leave for winter ,

in early spring start prep for growing

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 23:54 »
Congratulations on your first plot! We acquired ours mid may, and the best piece of advice we had was to strim / roundup / dig / dig / dig!

If you can resist it, stay away from rotavating as we were told this would just chop up the perennial roots and they'll be back with a vengeance some time soon.

As others have said, try not to do it all at once, we only have a tiny plot 5.5m x 11m and 10 weeks in, we still don't have it all sorted - just less than half of it planted, and probably won't plant the rest till next year now.
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 07:37 »
Having just got my first plot and my first garden since the 80's I know how exciting this is :)

chili

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 12:29 »
burn it to the ground :)
i actually done this on a section of my plot and it is now the most weed free bit i have

weirdsowing

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 16:18 »
burn it to the ground :)
i actually done this on a section of my plot and it is now the most weed free bit i have

My husband & I are planning to burn our newly aquired plot - council have strimmed it for us we have removed all large pieces of rubble. Tonight is the night we get going with the flame gun if we manage to find some paraffin. Then we plan to use a Rotavator.

Dom2599

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 20:22 »
Congrats m8, got mine in april (1/8th of an acre), i'm still clearing it....apart from taking down 2 huge old chicken sheds......i didnt think you could get so much rubbish, wood, plastic, glass, rubble, old gas bottles, nettles, brambles bindweed, rusty tin sheet, wire, nails, nails, hundreds of nails..... :blink:...i'm just fire fighting at the mo and getting ready to hit the ground running next year, the old fella next to me is giving loads of encouragement, hints, tips and veggies :lol: ( he gets more light now i've removed the 2 sheds)

dazem11

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 20:29 »
Good luck, we got ours on Saturday,
daz

plopleuk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 21:34 »
good luck i got mine a month ago and have spent the time with roundup then measuring the plot and working out where the sun hits most then measuring some more then put in planning permission for a shed and greenhouse then i started to dig out a spreading flower plant and have starter the first bed then paths.
tonight i got to the plot for some spuds the previous tennant left growing and saw the manure had turned up so spent the night stocking up with that.
my biggest advice is talk to your neighbors they are happy to advise and assist and if your lucky share some of their veggies like mine have.

enjoy  :D
oh and this site is the best for advice im on it daily.

JuliaPen

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 22:26 »
Well done on getting your plot. I have had mine for about 13 weeks now and after a hell of a lot of hard work I am producing loads of things

I got a Adeda from a car boot sale which is the best tool over and above any fork or spade I have used, look it up. Also don't rotovate, take the top grass roots off with the Azada after you have strimmed it all then dig and weed, dig and weed. Get people to help if you can as I have my mum and she is a machine!

Here is my plot, it doesn.t show how tall the weeds/grass were but it was hell to start with!
http://www.bhaf.org.uk/page_id__233_path__0p44p45p.aspx

xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
My First Plot - Plot 21 is confirmed

Started by SCassin on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 15:04
by Yorkie
xx
How much is a plot?

Started by sloegin on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 23:34
by Rozzer
xx
Plot 11 here I come..........!!!!!

Started by GafferGamgee on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 29, 2007, 13:55
by beansticks

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 37 queries.