What and how to use a new plot?

• 10 Replies

Green man

What and how to use a new plot?
« on: February 09, 2009, 10:17 »
good morning all?
We have taken over another plot to go with the one we have already and this new plot has not been used for 10 years.

We have still got to get it levelled by the local council as it's been ploughed up but at this time nothing else has been done to it and it's up hill and down.

We  really want to make a start on it, But what with all the snow and the like well we haven't even stepped foot on it yet.

I was thinking of puting our potatoes in on that plot, as well as some rased beds.
A lot of the work that needs to be done on the plot has to be done sitting as I can't stand for to long.
So please any ideas please let me now.
Thanks. Great Site.
It's better to be over the Hill than under it!!

agapanthus

Re: What and how to use a new plot?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 22:28 »
Hi Greenman!!! I used to have a plot at Belstead...whereabouts are you? Anyway, putting potatoes on your new plot is a good idea....they really help to break up soil that has'nt been worked. Although you may get a few more pests...cutworms and wireworms...they really do help the soil! :)

noshed

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 22:44 »
Some fruit trees might be a good idea. You can never buy damsons any more so if you like them...
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 06:27 »
This will be happier in GYO & may be more responses.

Hold on!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Green man

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 09:21 »
Thank for the move it looks that it's in the right place now.
Anyway agapanthus I have plots on Aster road site.
what could i use to stop the wireworm cutworms please?

I don't really want to put much chemicails onto the plot but if needs be then I will have to.

Oh Noshed I have got 3 or 4 damsons trees in the back garden so would it be to late to get them up and then replant them on the newplot??
Nick

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 10:30 »
I would think you got time to more the damsons still.
Thanks
Kris

agapanthus

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 12:07 »
Thank for the move it looks that it's in the right place now.
Anyway agapanthus I have plots on Aster road site.
what could i use to stop the wireworm cutworms please?

I don't really want to put much chemicails onto the plot but if needs be then I will have to.

Oh Noshed I have got 3 or 4 damsons trees in the back garden so would it be to late to get them up and then replant them on the newplot??
Nick

Ooooooh!! I had my first plot at Aster Road!!!....Great memories....one of the old boys had a selection of sheds and huts and called it The Ponderosa....when work was done we used to go there and have a few beers that were always chilling in the water-butt!!!!! Afterwards used to try and cycle home on my 1938 bicycle!!!! Happy days!!! :D :D 8)
Anyway....I mentioned a tip in another post about wireworms. Plant some cut up potatoes about 6 inches deep every yard or so and mark the spot with a twig. Next day gently dig them up and dispose of any wireworms that have attacked the potato....continue this as long as you can.
With the trees.....dug up as much of the rootball as you can and plant in a fairly large hole that as been prepared with some compost dug in. Top dress with some manure and they should be fine. Try not to disturb the roots of the tree if you can help it!

Green man

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 13:38 »
Thanks for all that.
Oh and aganthus they still go into a hut on plot 20. the hut belongs to old Jonesy and I think he has been there from the year dot.

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 14:38 »
My Mum has a half plot and since I've got a huge plot on the same site she is slowly moving her plot over to perennial plants. 

Just about everything on the plot can be trimmed pruned and harvested from a mainly sitting position.  We've 1/3rd burried her water butts so that she doesn't strain her back when lifting the watering can out.  With some prudent mulching we'll be able to keep the weeding down to a minimum too.

She's got red and white grape vines, all sorts of fruit bushes have gone in this year and last year and 6 cordon (miniature) fruit trees (Apples Pears & Cherry).  We've ordered some Asparagus crowns which will be here in March/April and they will take up permanent residence for the next 15-20 years (hopefully).

We are working on a set up for some raised beds for the strawberries and will be moving down our unique raised buckets for salads and some super early carrots.

My Mum's in pretty good nick for her age but she's keen on time proofing her plot so that she can keep working it for years and years to come.
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

agapanthus

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 15:11 »
Thanks for all that.
Oh and aganthus they still go into a hut on plot 20. the hut belongs to old Jonesy and I think he has been there from the year dot.

Sadly that's not the same one...my pal Owie died a few years ago....gone but not forgotten!! :)

matthew2riches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 15:46 »
Woooooo!

Another from Ipswich :-) :-) :-)

xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
My First Plot - Plot 21 is confirmed

Started by SCassin on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 15:04
by Yorkie
xx
OUR PLOT

Started by finleyfreyaseth on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post September 23, 2011, 15:28
by finleyfreyaseth
xx
New Plot Help

Started by Jacquelyn1401 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 18, 2017, 23:43
by juvenal

Page created in 0.415 seconds with 38 queries.