Best sauce/passata Tomato

• 13 Replies

stompy

Best sauce/passata Tomato
« on: March 21, 2017, 08:31 »
Morning guys,

What would you say is the best tomato to grow to make sauce out of, for flavour, quantity, etc.

I was thinking a plum type like Roma but would like your input as i'm probably wrong!  ???

I have plenty of space in the greenhouses to grow quite a few plants and as we eat allot of spagbol and lasagne would like to have fesh/frozen sauce to use.

Thanks

Andy

jambop

Re: Best sauce/passata Tomato
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 09:08 »
If you are serious about tomatoes for cooking and passata then I will give you three that are supreme.
1 San Marzano
2 Princep d' Borghese
3 Amish paste

there is no point in looking further you won't find better for the purposes you are putting them to. I do add one caveat I grow all my tomatoes outdoors and we get really favourable growing conditions.

You can get all of these tomatoes from

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/premierseedsdirect/

they are a very reliable seeds distributor and their terms are super, give them a try.

stompy

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 09:18 »
Hi jambop,

Just had a read about the 3 you recomend.
I won't be growing Roma now after what i read, i think i'll be growing Amish Paste, all the reviews are really good and they say the taste is outstanding.

Thanks for the reply.

Andy

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 09:24 »
I have grown Amish paste for years, a great fresh tomato for salads and sandwiches too! :)

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 09:32 »
I grew Amish Paste for a couple of years and found the yield to be quite disappointing...so I now grow Roma or San Marzano. I tend to find that Roma perform better in terms of yield and the flavour is quite similar. Actually, once you add some garlic and basil, they tend the same!

I'd suggest growing a variety of seeds and seeing what suits your particular conditions the best.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 09:38 »
I had a heavy crop off Cornue des Andes last year! It didn't get any BER which San Marzano suffered with in previous years.
Great flavour, few seeds and the skins slip off easily once blanched.

stompy

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 09:45 »
Argh, now you've gone and done it.
I was all decided on which to grow and now im confused again!  ???

I will grow 2 of each, Roma and a Amish Paste and see which i prefer.
Thats one side of the greenhouse filled.  :D
I'll try San Marzano next year and replace either the Roma or Amish Paste dependant on wich is best.

Andy

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 10:25 »
I'm trying Roma VF this year for the first time as an alternative to my usual 'stock' sauce tom Inca F1.

My take on what makes a good sauce tomato is that tasty tomatoes make tasty sauces, so my other toms go into my sauces too - the main advantage of choosing tomatoes bred specifically for sauce making is that they contain less juice (and often less seeds too) but that's no real problem if you're prepared to spend a bit more time reducing the sauces down to get the consistency you want (and sieving the seeds out if necessary.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jambop

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 11:09 »
Of course it is all down to what you can grow re conditions and of course whether under glass or outdoors. Roma really does best outdoor and is determinate so those are things to think about. I have never had BER issues with San Marzano but it is grown outdoors and my soil is quite rich in clay. I grew cornue des Andes it was a great cropper and tasted good but the shape and the fact that I thought they were slightly on the soft side put me off I prefer a nice hard fleshed tomato. For outdoor growing Princep d'Borghese is without doubt the best for the kitchen plant and forget then pick when ready... by the bucket load a really heavy cropper.

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 11:47 »
I made the mistake of growing Roma as a cordon in the greenhouse one year. Of course, they were a smaller crop, but a very nice tom for a change.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 13:44 »
I got a good crop of Roma last year ( outdoors, London) but the flavour was a little bland.

arh

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 07:34 »
I second jambobs seed supplier choice, I have never had anything but good quality seeds from them, and they are nicely packaged too.

stompy

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 07:36 »
I second jambobs seed supplier choice, I have never had anything but good quality seeds from them, and they are nicely packaged too.

Thanks for this guys,
Do you know roughly what the delivery time has been?

Andy

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 09:14 »
I grew Cornue des Andes it was a great cropper and tasted good but the shape and the fact that I thought they were slightly on the soft side put me off

For me, there's no disadvantage with a softer fruit if it's going through a sieve for passata, and most go soft when they have been put in boiling water to remove the skins  ;)

Delivery usually takes only a day or 2 from Premier Seeds.

clip
time for tomato sauce!

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 28, 2015, 19:50
by Thrutchington
xx
Good sauce/plum tomato

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post August 28, 2014, 21:50
by devonbarmygardener
xx
tomatoes for passata

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 03, 2016, 16:17
by Headgardener22
xx
horseradish sauce

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 23, 2008, 09:32
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 40 queries.