Non-smelly anti-peck spray

• 8 Replies

Kate and her Ducks

Non-smelly anti-peck spray
« on: September 01, 2010, 23:25 »
I have some lovely quail but unfortunately one of the girls has started pecking the feathers from the bum of the boy and other girl she is caged with. They are almost naked fromthe waist down and looking pretty indecent!

Due to their scantily clad attire and the fact that their cage keeps flooding the currently live in the kitchen. I bought an anti-peck spray which is pretty effective and when used daily or alternate days she stops pecking and their feathers grow back but if I stop she restarts and we end up with the victims in their smalls again.

What's the problem says you? Well the anti-peck spray smells like coal tar and my house
stinks!

Is there an less smelly way of stopping the pain in the bum girl pecking. Don't really want to neck he
but fed up with my house smelling like an oil refinery.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
Re: Non-smelly anti-peck spray
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 23:35 »
I use the Gold Label purple spray and don't mind the smell at all. Seems to work on the pecking and lasts about 5 days when sprayed on Sid & Nancy quail  :)

oborne27

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 21:07 »
I had a big problem with my bantams, it was due to stress when they were moved.
I used Deep Heat, the muscle spray from any chemist. Using it every day/other day it stopped within a week and has never returned.
its only eucalyptus oils and menthol so it won't harm them. spray it onto the feathers and the bare back end. Voilet psray will also help on the bare patches.
I would use it until the feathers have fully regrown and not just for a few days.
good luck

sarah.pinta

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 21:59 »
I had a big problem with my bantams, it was due to stress when they were moved.
I used Deep Heat, the muscle spray from any chemist. Using it every day/other day it stopped within a week and has never returned.
its only eucalyptus oils and menthol so it won't harm them. spray it onto the feathers and the bare back end. Voilet psray will also help on the bare patches.
I would use it until the feathers have fully regrown and not just for a few days.
good luck

I have recently acquired three bantams ex-bat and am having problems with once particular hen who is currently picking on the other two. You suggest from the above Deep Heat spray this worked for you ok?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 22:13 »
Are you sure its harmless to chooks?  After all deep heat gives creates a heat that helps warm up the muscles.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 08:49 »
and if you get it near your eyes it makes them water so you would have to watch the chicken didn't preen themselves (have no idea how you would be able to that - so really doubt that it would be suitable for chickens).
Staffies are softer than you think.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 10:55 »
I use a clear liquid spray product called Featherite.  I've only had to use it a couple of times, and don't remember any smell at all.  Think it tastes bad though.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 10:58 »
sounds like the chicken equivelent to the stop nail biting stuff  :lol:

Flowerpower136

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 11:06 »
Yes!  It works anyway.  It was one of those things I bought at the start 'just in case', and have found it useful.  Can't remember where I got it from, but was on line somewhere.

xx
Age for anti peck spray

Started by maggiem on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 31, 2010, 20:22
by evie2
xx
Ukadex anti-peck spray - has anybody tried it.

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 28, 2009, 11:33
by poppies
xx
Bullying - does anti peck spray work?

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 27, 2013, 13:06
by ANHBUC
exclamation
ANTI PECK SPECS

Started by teaseldog on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 21, 2012, 17:27
by nerdle

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 40 queries.