battery hens

• 19 Replies

dollybird

battery hens
« on: August 21, 2010, 18:46 »
hi we got 8 battery hens this afternoon( poor things), we have put them in with the nest boxes and they have a small area enclosed as well. we also have a big run attached to it which we will letthem into tommor,6 are either sat in nest boxes or stood in corner which we expected but 2 are stood just pecking at the side panel and have done this since we got back  could this be stress ? is there anything i can do to make life easier for them.thanks jackie

alancane

• Experienced Member
Re: battery hens
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 19:12 »
I am no expert, but my thoughts might be that they are stressed and disoriented. I would leave them in the coop tonight and I think they will settle down. Keep it nice and dark and secure.

If you can imagine the life they have had and now that has all changed. A little bit of love and care and they will soon forget it all.
Alan

NormandyMary

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 19:17 »
I agree with Alan. Well done getting ex-batts and making their lives wonderful at last. I dont know whether they sell ex-batts over here, I would ge some if they did, so that I too could give the poor things a chance of happiness.
Im sure in a few days they will all be doing what our hens do. Have you got to knit them little jumpers or are they not too badly off feather wise?
Can we have some piccies of their progress please?

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 19:24 »
I get my ex-batts tomorrow dollybird, were yours from a BHWT rescue? I've been told that Im to just leave them locked inside the coop until the morning after, so they get used to 'home' and that they may well show weird behaviour for a while as they've never had a chance to be chickens and dont really know what to do.
What state are yours in, feather and strength wise and is it as heartbreaking as I'm imagining it to be (but happy too)?
Woo-hooo, a fellow ex-batt owner  :D xx
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 19:26 »
Am I allowed to call you the ex-battie ladies? Or will I get battered?  :blink:

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 19:33 »
Hahaha, ex-battie is ok as it means we're no loner batty :) But I'm sure others will argue otherwise  :tongue2:

dollybird

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 21:13 »
hope i can ansewer all the questions :) thank you all for your replies, very much appriciated...  i have closed them in fully now for the night. carla, we got ours from the bhwt in wragby near lincolnshire,and was worried cos we had to travel 65 miles back with them but it was ok. i was not too badly shocked out of the 8 only 2 are really bald the others not to bad, they a bit shakey on there legs and i easily picked them out of boxes and placed them in nest boxes,and surprise ... there was 2 eggs in the boxes and we had another since.i put them in so they had peace and quiet but i cant help popping down to have a look.    normandymary, if i could knit i would they look so skinny and forlorn bless em.   alan it would be my pleasure to called ex - battie lady, but my hubby says im already batty..   cant wait for morning to go and check them i feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning, crazy.thanks jackie.

Fisherman

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 06:48 »
Well done you.

The mortality rate is quite high in battery hens. Whatever life they have now will be much , much better than their other life. Post a question if you get any problems as there are some good experts who will help you out.

Best of luck.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 08:07 »
Hi congrats on your new arrivals!! I have ex-free range hens though you wouldn't know it to look at them they were quite featherless when we got them, just give them time and they will soon start to behave like chickens, its lovely to watch them stretch their wings and start scratching about for the first time, they will bring much joy to you!and you can forget about any kind of house work for the next few weeks you will be watching the new girls!!

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 10:28 »
hi jackie, congratulations on your new girlies,  i bet you spend all day today out with them watching them take there first steps into freedom bless them.   You will have to pop up some piccys of them oh and wot have you called them       nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

Jeanette

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 11:37 »
Welcome and congratulations on getting your girls. It is very rewarding watching them change to happy healthy normal girls i would not be without my ex bats. Please dont knit them little jackets no matter how cute they look. Their own feather will soon start to come through and with coats on the top it can make the whole process take  much longer. Dont forget we want pics.

bantam novice

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 12:18 »
Well done! :) and welcome to the forum.  You may find that watching your girls becomes addictive...it has for me :blink:  Keep us posted and some pics would be lovely
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

dollybird

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 14:52 »
thanks again for all your messages, i have only just come on computer, i seem to have spent all day sat watching 8 hens sun bathing, some with there wings spread out i went in to wake my daughter (18)  to come and see. after grumbling for a few mins she is still out there watching.now i have had a good look at them they dont seem too bad at all abit thread bare in places and they dive into the boxes with their backs to me till i go, 2 have let me touch them and 1 tried to fly which surprised me. i thought they would be weaker than they are.and we have had 2 eggs today. i didnt no you could knit jumpers for them( and dont want to) i will see if my daughter will show or do some pics im not to good on the computer sorry.2 of  the girls have got names so far edna and ethal, and the coop seems to have been christened ednas gaff.thanks jackie

dollybird

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 21:18 »
we have had 7 eggs today from our 8 girls today, we hoped for 3 or 4 a day and didnt think it would be for a few days and they all have names now. we have got edna, ethal, daisy,lily, betty,clover,bluebell and breamer. a couple are evan letting me stroke them. it was deffernatly worth months of research, planning and 65 miles there and back to get them....

pigeonpie

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 22:26 »
I hope all goes well for you and your ex-batt girlies.  We re-homed 14 last year (of which we now have 10) and picked up another 14 on Sunday. 
Our originals are now fully feathered, confident and so friendly.  Our newbies are still finding their feet and look more like odd dragons or dinosaurs but seem very happy to be out of the cages.

xx
Battery hens

Started by matilda duck on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 06, 2009, 12:27
by Roll Roll
xx
ex battery hens

Started by primrose1 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 29, 2011, 17:20
by JACDORE
xx
Battery Hens

Started by skyblue on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 01, 2007, 16:26
by GrannieAnnie
xx
ex battery hens help

Started by rachelr on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 30, 2010, 21:50
by Thingy

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 38 queries.