How much time

• 4 Replies

fluffypebble

How much time
« on: January 24, 2007, 11:51 »
Do you need to spend with the chucks.  I would like some but I work full time, so they would be let out on my way to work and I would put them to bed on my way home.  But should I need to spend more time with them.  I don't want to get some and then not be able to look after them properly.
http://10.UploadMirror.com/uploaded/1/646/glitter_maker_03_04_2007_03_32_52_22128.gif[/img]

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
A weekend wasted is not a wasted weekend.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
How much time
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 13:16 »
Depends really on what you can give and how you want to treat your birds are they just for eggs and meat or more like pets?
Mine get about 10 mins in the morning and 10 mins in the evening making sure they have water, food, collect the eggs, etc. Then at the weekend I clean their droppings board, during the summer I sort the board out every other day, I find this is enough to keep bad smells flies etc at bay.But then I have only 3 if you have loads then they will take more time. If I'm out in the garden then they have free range of the place if not they have a 8' x 4' covered run.
I find mine are pretty easy to keep and don't really need a lot of time or money for what they give me in return.
Read Muntjacs blog on this forum about keeping hens if you haven't already.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

fluffypebble

How much time
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 13:22 »
I want between 2 and 5 for eggs only, I don't mind the work on an evening - cleaning etc - I just wanted to make sure that I could leave them through the day.  Most of the time that would be from 7.30 to 5 but in January (our busy time) maybe longer unless I conned the hubby into helping.  I would have a covered enclosure to ensure they were safe etc.  

Thank you anyway, I have read some of Muntjac's essays but not all of them.

muntjac

How much time
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 13:41 »
the only important thing that a chicken see's you as food monitor .. dont worry they dont even know what ur saying anyways  :lol:  give them waht tiem you want to ,the more time you spend the tamer they become . i have had chucks that would come and sit onmy lap while i ate my lunch wanting to be stroked . you can only do what you can :wink:
still alive /............

fluffypebble

How much time
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 13:50 »
Thanks Muntjac, I just didn't want to get them and not be able to do what they needed, it wouldn't be fair on them.

Next question, for eggs only, which are the best breed.

xx
time of day to lay?

Started by mandarincloth on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 10, 2011, 20:26
by Junie
xx
What Time?

Started by chicken soup on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post January 26, 2008, 20:32
by chicken soup
xx
Bed time

Started by New Hampshire lover on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post May 29, 2008, 21:52
by treacleminer
xx
What time do I put them to bed?

Started by Blondie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 23, 2007, 15:25
by dawninspain

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 39 queries.