What a tragic tale.

• 7 Replies

Goosegirl

What a tragic tale.
« on: September 03, 2018, 16:09 »
I just had to share this with you. Mods, please modify as appropriate.
I was having a roll-up ciggie before my hair appointment when a chap about 45 years old politely asked me for a light. I was very wary but gave him my lighter. He seemed very upset and said he'd just picked part of a cig from the pavement. Then he told me a tale that I'll never forget. For about 2 weeks he'd been sleeping rough near the train station because he was homeless. Ok. A month ago his wife who he'd been with for over 35 years and had bipolar disorder asked him to mow the lawn which he did. When he went inside she had taken an overdose and had died. Then the council threw him out of their home because he wasn't on the tenant register. Ok, but this gets worse. He was an ex-army veteran who served in Iraq for 8 years. One day his pal was badly hit by a sniper and fell on a grenade. Yes - imagine the rest which I won't go into. He also got wounded by it and I could see the scar on his forehead. He later had to leave the army to look after his wife who he dearly loved. Then he then showed me a leaflet about helping war veterans. During this time he was starting to cry. When I gave him a ciggie he said you don't have to do that, so I said I know that but I want to. Then he said he'd asked the train station café staff if he could have a free cup of tea and they said no. The only clothes he had was what he was wearing which were given to him by someone. He felt guilty for not realising what his wife was going to do, for surviving when his pal died, for being homeless, and for crying in front of a stranger. I gave him two pound coins (all I had in cash) and told him to get a hot drink, then pointed my finger at him and said you get in touch with the people on that leaflet! I then thanked him for what he'd done for our country and gave him a big hug. Then he saluted me, gripped my hand warmly and said a heartfelt thanks. HOW CAN THIS HAPPEN??? 
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Fairy Plotmother

Re: What a tragic tale.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 17:17 »
I'm glad you were able to help a bit. Your story is a reminder that not everyone is to blame for their ill luck.

Pescador

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 17:41 »
Good for you Goosegirl. That brought tears to my eyes. There are many people out there who are in a terrible situation through no fault of their own. There are also some real rogues. Looks like you found someone who doesn't deserve to be there and I hope he can find some help.
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 17:46 »
I sometimes get very and I mean very disappointed in this country so called fit for heroes you see in my opinion there shouldn't be anyone sleeping in shop doorways or toilets or any other thing outside for those less fortunate than others especially in the winter months

more effort should be sort by the relevant authorities to get rid of the drugies and put these people  back on the rails to kick the habit as this amounts to crim and other related incidents and not forgetting there are good people out there down on there luck that just need a helping hand to get back into the community good food a  warm bed a decient job instead of sitting in doorways with a begging boal and a few old blankets

a very good and moving topic and something we should all be aware of i think we mite have moved on from sending kids up chimney's haven't we  :unsure: so whatabout doing something for those less fortunate than some of us  >:(

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 18:33 »
It's so easy to forget what a good life we lead just having food and a roof over our heads. I was out for a work so one very cold winters night when a colleague spotted a man in a doorway. He just walked over,  had a chat and a joke with him, took off his hat and gloves and gave them to him. I wish that had been my thought.

jaydig

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 19:39 »
People are very often judgemental of those who live on our streets, but when one takes the time to actually talk to them they often have very sad tales to tell.  Not all of them are blameless, I know, but please don't walk past them as if they don't exist, they are people too, and it costs nothing to give them the time of day. We should all remember that there, but for the grace of God, or just plain bad luck, goes you or I.
I don't have much to spare, and would never give money, but I often ask if they would like a hot drink, or something to eat, and go and get it for them because it could so easily be one of our own in the same position.

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 12:12 »
Thank you all so much for your replies. I am guilty of judging those on the streets so it was a lesson for me too. Wasn't there a TV programme where some well-known people dressed down, sat and slept on the streets, and their stories were how people judge a book by its cover?  Like many others he'd also lost all sense of dignity, faith, self-esteem and pride. At the moment his story is sitting like a stone deep in my heart and the only way I can deal with it is to write a poem about it because it's my way of releasing my inner emotions good or bad. I'm glad it's had an impression on you and I hope you can pass it on to others. Do one thing for me please - next time you see someone like this, just ask if they would like a hot drink or something from a bakery. Thanks Mods for allowing me to post this.

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 14:31 »
Just to add to this, some people may think I was taken in. and to be honest I did wonder for quite some time if he was having me on, but there's some things that made me think he wasn't. He recited his battalion name and army number exactly in the same manner an army man would do when captured. Not only did he show me the deep scar on his head but also a long one on his shoulder which fitted with the injuries he got when his pal died, and the fact that when I gave him a ciggie he slightly turned away and said I didn't have to and he looked so ashamed. He never asked for money, he had this Army Veterans' leaflet in his pocket which was folded but looked quite new and, apart from so missing his wife, he said the thing he wanted most was his mum.

xx
A Winter's Tale

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post December 24, 2018, 12:51
by mrs bouquet
xx
A Christmas tale...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

46 Replies
Last post December 21, 2020, 06:58
by Growster...
xx
Read this tale of woe, for a laugh.

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post March 03, 2024, 08:49
by Goosegirl
xx
Coronavirus – A Cautionary Tale

Started by John on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post January 16, 2021, 12:13
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 46 queries.