is it safe to buy seeds from ebay?

• 25 Replies

karooba007

• Experienced Member
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 09:35 »
jb yeah that is freaky. u know i was going to get the sage as well but read that they are difficult to grow so i backed down  :shock: .(had a bad time with mint seed last year complete waste of time). instead will get plants.
any other recommendations from PSD? Maybe we got the same birth day 8th of may?

Ropster

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 11:47 »
I got 3 different types of mint from PSD and they all grew fine

karooba007

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 12:08 »
my seed was from a garden centre. I planted them, waited and waited, nothing came up. so i thought i had put to much compost on top. so i removed the top layer of compost. still nothink came up. i then  decided that i will use the compost for planting something else. after a long time the mint started coming up, not all at once but a little spread over a long period. i couldn't remove them and put them in another pot because they were so tiny. so i left them to grow with the other plants. anyway, then i was getting lots of small green insects on the stems of these tiny mint. i would spend time removing them every day by hand but they would just come again and again. I got the green fly spray from the nursery and sprayed but that damaged the plants and the green insects came back.
so i had enough. i got the insect spray (normal stuff) and sprayed. big mistake. the vast majority of the mint died and the other plants they were sharing the pot with also died.   :x . a couple of mint was still alive. after some time when they got a little bigger i planted them in the garden. something ate them or killed them. and u know the mint variety wasn't even nice not the stuff u can use with lamp, more like chewing gum mint.
so no more planting mint for me i am going to get some pot plants instead. also the rosemary i planted from seed never came up. so i am getting that from pot plants as well. i want to grow sage and lavender but i am going to get plants as well.

Robin Redbreast

• Experienced Member
    • http://alandkell.blogspot.com/
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 13:37 »
i have bought some nice seeds off this guy and he is both reasonable and has some really nteresting things. he always gives instructions which are easy to follow.  :lol: http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/dnorcott_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZR9QQ_mdoZ give him a look pretty interesting stuff some of it!
Little Robin Readbreast
Sat upon a rail.
Niddle, naddle went his head;
Wiggle, waggle went his tail.

jb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 13:55 »
Quote from: "karooba007"
jb yeah that is freaky. u know i was going to get the sage as well but read that they are difficult to grow so i backed down  :shock: .(had a bad time with mint seed last year complete waste of time). instead will get plants.
any other recommendations from PSD? Maybe we got the same birth day 8th of may?

Sadly I'm in March.
Got to admit although the sage germinated and initially grew well I seem to stuggle to get it to a size where I can harvest regularly so will be probably buying plants from a nursery next year.

fivespud364

• www.vegetableplantsdirect.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2009, 15:11 »
i have bought seeds on e-bay before but you have to be really careful who you buy from i tend to stear away from the smaller sellers as usually germination rates are rubbish and its become a lot more costly on there now we also used to sell seeds and plants on there but the cost is way to high now.

i will be buying a fair bit from premier seeds direct on e-bay as his prices are better than some of my wholesale suppliers for as much seed

i have also bought a fair bit from American companies via e-bay mainly because of specific varieties i was trying to source and last year because of the exchange rate being so could i could get seed from America at half the price i coud in the UK now its not so favourable
Everyone should grow their own veg and know where their food is coming from even if it is only a one pot on a patio or balcony Grow Something!!

karooba007

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2009, 15:15 »
fivespud364, did the plants that were from USA seed do well?

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
PSD...
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2009, 20:58 »
I had lots of seeds from Premier last year, all grew well Toms particularly good, also peppers, cues and radish, have also ordered again this year, leeks, beets, peas, lettuce, turnips and peppers....will let you know...no complaints so far!!

I find the instructions more than adequate and 70p packing is pretty good value..

Phill

fivespud364

Re: PSD...
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2009, 11:57 »
I had lots of seeds from Premier last year, all grew well Toms particularly good, also peppers, cues and radish, have also ordered again this year, leeks, beets, peas, lettuce, turnips and peppers....will let you know...no complaints so far!!

I find the instructions more than adequate and 70p packing is pretty good value..

Phill

I bought 64 Packets from Premiere seeds at the weekend and because i broke off to see to the baby half way through it charged me £2.10 postage which i thought was good for 64 packets then they sent me a refund of £1.40 saying i had overpaid so i paid 70p postage for 64 Packets now you cant complain at that can you

fivespud364

Re: is it safe to buy seeds from ebay?
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2009, 12:02 »
fivespud364, did the plants that were from USA seed do well?

I did have some germination problems with some tomato's from one guy in America but he has now been banned from e-bay i have a couple of people in America i deal with and have just found a new one on e-bay who again is very good they sent the first lot in a box and as a result i got clobbered £13.20 by royal Mail for customs handling but the lady who sent them has given me $19 credit against me next order without me even complaining or asking for it

Salmo

Re: is it safe to buy seeds from ebay?
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2009, 12:48 »
Take care when buying seeds from outside UK. There are all sorts of nasty diseases what we do not want here.

There are very strict rules on importation of any plant or animal matter purely to keep our crops and animals safe.

Do not be the one that brings in a disease !!!!!!

xx
anyone got any super cucumber dave seeds of ebay

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 29, 2011, 16:26
by mumofstig
xx
Seeds on Ebay shop - cheap cheap for good quality ...

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post September 28, 2011, 20:55
by radiohead
xx
What's it safe / not safe to plant after garlic?

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 24, 2011, 09:07
by DD.
xx
Ebay polytunnels

Started by blancmaison on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 05, 2010, 10:09
by mr Isaccs

Page created in 0.412 seconds with 39 queries.