can u keep different breeds of cockerals together

• 7 Replies

kimjen

can u keep different breeds of cockerals together
« on: March 21, 2011, 13:15 »
 :hi everyone; i am new to the world of poultry and love learning more and more my question is can i keep different breeds of cockerals in the one large shed with large field attached

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: can u keep different breeds of cockerals together
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 13:23 »
Like hens they have a pecking order but whereas with hens you get a bit of pecking with cockerels it can lead to the death of one of the cockerels if one doesn't back down. I have 6 cockerels - 2 sabelpoots who don't fight with each other but they do tell the little Belgian off every now and then, and 3 araucanas. My old boy is 7/8 at least and he is top boy and splits his time between chasing the girls and chasing off the other 2 youngsters (both of which were hatched last year). Luckily they have plenty of room to get out of the way. They also sleep in separate areas - old boy in the coops, and the other 2 in different sets of trees at opposite ends of the garden.
What breeds and sleeping arrangements for them will you have? Are you hoping to breed different breeds of chickens? If so how are you going to stop the different breeds from cross breeding - they aren't particular as to who they mate with  ::)
Staffies are softer than you think.

hillfooter

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 13:36 »
You have more chance of them getting along if they have been raised together.  Introducing two mature cocks might be rather difficult if not impossible, particularly if they have or had their own hareems.  Separated cocks with separate hareems will also try to fight if they can get at one another.  When separated securely they will have incessant crowing contests which if you have neighbours will be a possible problem.

Cockerels raised in the same brood will usually tollerate each other and may even share the attentions of the hens and co-operate in mating with them.  Not always too considerately.  They will generally mock fight but you just need to watch out for a serious fight breaking out whch can cause serious injury or death.
HF
Truth through science.

kimjen

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 22:08 »
thanks for advice; i think i will pass on getting more cockerals until i have more experience'i just get very excited when i see different breeds at poultry markets, i want them all

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 22:12 »
lol don't we all thats why I have araucanas - various colours, sabelpoots, barbu d'anvers, appenzellers, blackrock, speckled sussex, Cuckoo Marans, plus Goldline, rescues and silkie crosses and now want cochins  :lol:

kimjen

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 22:36 »
can you tell me joyfull how many hens can you have with one cockerel i have 3 leghorns,3 white sussex 1 cuckoo maron , 1 bluebell, 2 blackrocks and my cockerel is a white leghorn ; is this too many hens for him

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 23:20 »
can you tell me joyfull how many hens can you have with one cockerel i have 3 leghorns,3 white sussex 1 cuckoo maron , 1 bluebell, 2 blackrocks and my cockerel is a white leghorn ; is this too many hens for him

You can have as many as you like for a none breeding community.  Only if you want to breed from the matings do you need to limit the ratio.  Obviously the more hens you have the less likely they are to be fertilised.  A none breeding ratio of upwards of 4 hens to one cock will ensure the hens aren't constantly receiving the attentions of the cock.  I 'd suggest 6 plus to 1.   If you want to breed a trio (2:1) or 3:1 will ensure they are all fertilised constantly.
HF

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 07:17 »
discounting the guinea fowl I have the 6 cockerels running with 30 hens, but as HF says I don't have mine for breeding purposes (on cracking open the eggs I am getting 5 out of 6 fertile eggs), I only have the cockerels as I like the looks and noise of the boys. They are also good for looking after the girls - they try to keep them in line and stop any squabbles. There is one girl though who is a bit thread bare (a black pearl) and I'm not sure if it s because she is more submissive or because all the boys like her.

xx
can anyone tell me what breeds these are?

Started by wolverine on Chicken Chat

16 Replies
Last post May 25, 2010, 00:09
by TeaPots
xx
Name your breeds

Started by min200 on Chicken Chat

31 Replies
Last post February 07, 2011, 14:20
by tiptopchickendon
xx
Minitaure duck breeds

Started by Hayley'sHens on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 13:32
by Hayley'sHens
xx
different breeds info needed please

Started by willyhorton on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post July 29, 2011, 14:03
by willyhorton

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 29 queries.