Walnut tree

• 10 Replies

Kym503

• Experienced Member
Walnut tree
« on: February 19, 2012, 18:20 »
Forgive me if this post is in the wrong place...I'm usually to be found in the 'chicken area'.

I have a walnut tree in my garden which has tro be felled unfortunately as it's leaning and in danger of falling.

It is about 60 years old and the trunk is 40" in diameter.  The trunk is straight and 12ft tall before it sprouts branches.

My question is - does the trunk have any commercial value and if so who should I approach?

Grateful for any advice.

Kym

mattwragg94

Re: Walnut tree
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 18:32 »
sorry kim but i dont think its worth much (if anything at all), simply because it would have to be sent to a saw mill which would cost a bit. i was going to suggest you get in touch with a local sculpter/carver, but i dont think they would pay you anything for it as they can usually get tree trunks for free from a tree surgeon.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 19:14 »
Not the wrong place at all Kym!

Must be for the open fire eh?

(I'll do the poem my beloved old Aunt said after she described her walnut tree, if you want, but be prepared for moderation...;0)

Kym503

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 19:19 »
It seems such a waste to burn it .... although my wood pile is looking a bit low after this year.  I've emailed the Kent Woodturners Association to see if they would be interested in any of it ....might at least get a nice salad bowl out of them in return!  :-)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 19:22 »
Kym I think you should definitely try to find a user for your walnut wood, as most wood turners would be keen to have it.

It would be a real shame to burn it.

You could think about cutting it yourself to make a garden bench if all else fails -- it would be beautiful  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Spana

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 20:01 »
Most of the walnut used for veneers comes from France these days so there must be a market for it.
OH thinks its worth a few phone calls to saw mills or furniture makers/craftsmen before you burn it.  But he says everything depends on the quality.
What a shame you have to cut it down,perhaps who ever is doing the job will have some ideas.

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 21:03 »
Definitely ask any furniture makers or ask at your local lumber shop to refer you to someone who might be interested. They'll soon be able to tell by looking at the tree if its of value to them. Walnut commands one of the highest prices in commercial native woods and its always nice to get something for the tree rather than nothing.

If the wood doesn't turn out to be usable, then it will make great firewood next year. People with burners would likely be glad to take it down for you for free.

Spana

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 22:50 »
People with burners would likely be glad to take it down for you for free.

We get a lot of our fire wood that way.  OH will fell a tree  and take the wood as payment. :)

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 18:23 »
Personaly I think it would have value beyond its use for fire wood The best way would be to auction it off on that famous web site with buyer collects ? you may be suprised
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 20:48 »
It would need to be dried before it became usable for furniture or wood turning Mr S says. Unless of course it was used 'in the green' & then when it dries it distorts.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 07:13 »
We use green wood for pole lath turning, so it does not have to be dried.
Thanks
Kris

xx
problem with walnut tree

Started by philskin on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 17, 2008, 19:01
by Alex 98
xx
Walnut seedlings

Started by Balaton Ben on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post April 28, 2008, 15:37
by Trillium
xx
Yew tree

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post March 08, 2020, 19:09
by MrsPea
xx
tree

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post December 27, 2012, 22:52
by Annen

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 37 queries.