pruning whitecurrants

• 4 Replies

lazza

• Experienced Member
pruning whitecurrants
« on: September 08, 2011, 10:13 »
I have been a bit slack in keeping on top of my pruning back, and realise I have not yet touched my whitecurrant bush. Am I too late to prune back now? I remember that I was supposed to do it early in the summer once all the fruit was picked (not sure why I missed it).

Also, the crop this year was OK, but not great. I believe whitecurrants fruit on the previous year's growth, is that right? In which case, I think I'll get nothing next year, as almost the whole bush is woody and brown with few new shoots. Should I just cut right back and do without for a year, or leave something to on?

Trillium

lazza

• Experienced Member
Re: pruning whitecurrants
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 11:21 »

That is a little help, but I think it assumes that the plant has been well cared for already, which I admit, mine has not  :blush:  Which means that most of it is old wood, and the new shoots are no more than thin twigs, no more than an inch long!

I'm thinking I might just cut it right back, but was wondering if this might be too drastic...

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 15:33 »
This is from the BBC:
Training and pruning red and white currants

Red and white currants should be trained as an open centred, goblet-shaped bush - this allows light and air to flow freely around the branches, and makes picking easier.
After planting, pull off any suckers growing from beneath ground level and cut back to the stem any branches less than 10cm above the soil – this will give the bush a short leg.
Prune all other branches to a third of their original length, cutting to an outward facing bud.
In subsequent years, allow branches to grow in the main framework until your bush fills its allotted space. Then, prune back the upright growing leading shoots to half their length, cutting to an upright bud.
At the end of June, prune back side shoots to half their length and then to two or three buds in winter.

You never want to prune currants down too low regardless of the care they have/haven't been given because you won't get any fruit for a few years.

Follow the above advice for the basic goblet shape by choosing the younger of 'old' (brown) wood to leave, then remove the rest. Then follow up with the rest of the info.

There's little you can do wrong with pruning, but yes, cutting it right down is simply too drastic and will encourage a big tangle.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 19:50 »
That'll help me shape up my messy looking red currant -- thank you Trillium  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Redcurrants and whitecurrants

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 21, 2008, 14:05
by Trillium
xx
pruning

Started by doncaster dave on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post October 15, 2009, 13:35
by doncaster dave
xx
pruning

Started by geddall on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 10, 2013, 21:16
by mumofstig
xx
pruning fruit

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 17, 2009, 16:33
by Madame Cholet

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 34 queries.