Seeding / germination soil

• 11 Replies

businessmonkey9

Seeding / germination soil
« on: February 09, 2020, 09:06 »
Hi

I have a variety of seed this year to start off indoor in my utility room.

I know different seeds needs slightly different soils PHs, but is there a good soil to use as a base.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 09:19 by businessmonkey9 »

Goosegirl

Re: Seeding / germination soil
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 12:10 »
I avoid anything soil-based as it seems to go cold so the seeds rot. I prefer Jack's Magic (others may disagree or not) because you just put your pot or whatever into a tray with some water in it, wait until the surface starts to go dark, lift it out, get a big cardboard box and push three of the flaps down inside, line the bottom and sides with aluminium foil, lift the other flap and do the same with that then put it in your utility room with the foiled flap facing the window. The foil will stop the cardboard from getting wet and the flap with the foil will reflect the light onto your new seedlings so they don't get drawn to the light and get leggy. Once they've germinated nicely put them in a tray on a window sill or whatever, but make sure you still have some foil at the back of the tray.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

businessmonkey9

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 13:04 »
I have just taken reading from the room, and its around 20c, as the boiler is in their, i have a shelving system ready with trays, just wanted to make sure this soil would still be ok to use

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 13:42 »
I too would not use soil for germinating seedlings.  It's not sterile, which can cause damping off or other fungal etc. diseases to affect your seedlings.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

businessmonkey9

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 17:53 »
What would you recommend ?

yorky

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 18:13 »
When you say soil are you meaning soil from the garden ? As others have said this is not good for seed sowing. What you need is proper seed sowing or multi-purpose compost from the garden centre or stores like Wilco's.
Sets a low standard and fails to achieve it.

businessmonkey9

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 18:39 »
Wilko or westlands seeding ?

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 11:54 »
Whichever suits your pocket(I'm a Scot).

al78

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 12:37 »
People say don't use garden soil. I can see their points, but how on earth to people manage to sow direct outside if it is such a bad idea?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 15:59 »
Sowing indoors gives you more control over temperature and moisture, but less over humidity, which can lead to damping off.
Using sterilised compost keeps the balance tipped in your favour by ensuring you're not importing the pathogens which cause it.

Outdoor conditions are usually far less humid on average, so seedlings have a reasonable chance of avoiding the problem despite the likely presence of pathogens in the soil.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 17:12 »
Something I have aadopted to great success is a pre-chitting your seed before you sow it.
Having read an article a few years ago the Amish use this method and it works.
An example is onions, last year I pre-chitted the seed, 3-4 days and they had sprouted, sown into pots at correct spacing and everyone grew, this method was quicker and reliable

I use a an old chinesse take a way tub, cut two sheets of kitchen paper and place one the bottom and wet it, not soak. Place seed on and place the other on top, dab it down with the off cuts and put lid on, place some where warm, mine go under the bathroom radiator.
Every couple of days check the seed and pick n sow as they sprout. This method means you only sow seed that has germinated
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

jezza

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 22:58 »
Hello if you want to use garden soil it's possible if the soils been sterilized  sterilizing soil can be a laborious job depending how it's done  Steam,chemical and electric sterilization are the usual methods steam needs a good boiler and a constant pressure for 17 hours chemical takes 6 month if chemical still available electric is most reliable for small quantities special sterilizers are available that hold up to 4 bushels of soil and need to be on 12 hours preferably some where that's not in a covered area it stinks or for small quantities use an old cooker with the soil in a thin layer on a tray leave for 4 hours do not put in a micro wave oven if there's any stones in it it will blow the doors off   jezza

xx
germination and soil temperatures

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 10, 2013, 17:18
by strangerachael
xx
Self seeding

Started by purplebean on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 16:46
by gobs
xx
Should anything be seeding?

Started by Riala on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 03, 2009, 18:41
by DD.
xx
Seeding Tools

Started by slow_worm on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 27, 2007, 20:20
by WG.

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 52 queries.