Cutting down wild blackberry bushes...would it help?

• 25 Replies

sonnycbr

• Experienced Member
Re: Cutting down wild blackberry bushes...would it help?
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 19:52 »
I've never replaced any plants Kevin, but I've cut them back hard once. It took about 2 seasons for them to get back to full strength but then they,ve been prolific since. when I say hard, I mean down to about 6" for all the stems. I only did this as they were getting out of control and too bushy, I decided to start afresh. I find that an annual pruning of fruited canes is enough for me.

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 20:45 »
Thank you, sonnycbr, I take your advice/experience to heart.
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

kirpi

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 17:52 »
If this is a mature blackberry thicket I would ask you not to cut it hard back as the thicket will be a vital cover for hedgehogs and food source for local birds, without which many may not survive the winter.

Kevin67

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 20:07 »
Absolutely, Kirpi. You have my utter word on the matter.

Thank you for bringing it up.

Genuinely, as much for my own safety as anything else, I had thought to cut no lower than 1m and 1m in.

Could I ask, how I might disturb such creatures minimally? (Other than not forage at all.)

kirpi

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 23:27 »
Thank you Kevin. As a fellow forager, I always try to follow a few simple self-rules that aim to allow me to forage but without leaving too much of an impact on the environment I am foraging from.

Always leave some for the wildlife - they have to eat too. Don't just strip every berry on the bush because we are doing it to supplement our foodstuffs whereas, those berries may be the difference between life and death to some wild creatures.

When reaching into a thicket to get to those berries at the back, try not to trample the front vines down to get to them. Carry a hooped handle walking stick and bring them toward you and or step over the front vines and stand inside the bush. Better to risk a few scratches than to destroy the thicket, which may be a protective habitat as well as a food source for some critters.

There is a more comprehensive guide to foraging on a new public Facebook page called Eat Wild Cornwall - but the rules can be applied to anywhere in the UK.

Foraging is rewarding and fun, but it grieves me to see trampled down berry hedges when people have just gone in there and destroyed everything just for a few berries. I'm not saying you would do that.

Kevin67

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2014, 08:31 »
Thank you for your kindness, Kirpi - you have my absolute word on the matter.

I shall find and read the booklet.

I have some wood spare, how would it be for me to make some homes and place them away from footfall in such thickets? Ot best to leave alone?

Kevin67

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2014, 08:38 »
Here is the booklet (or similar) to what Kirpi was writing about - it's what Goggle threw up anyways:

http://www.countrylovers.co.uk/wfs/data/cornishforager.pdf

I tried to upload the pdf for file people here, but it is too large for the forum.

I'll make a stick later today or tomorrow.

Kevin67

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2014, 14:47 »
I made a foraging stick out of an extending decorators pole, a paint roller, a bag and some wire.

I can take the bag off easily so the hook form the paint roller can be used to pull branches closer, while the bag and wire help cut the fruit stem and catch the falling fruit.

DSCF0058.JPG

compostqueen

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2014, 15:57 »
You can make piles of sticks, logs, leaves etc and leave them in the garden or plot, to help all sorts of creatures.

I get down and right into the currant bushes when I'm picking and you get a bird's eye view of what life is like under there. Can't claim to have got under the guzgogs or blackberries though (ouch!)  While I was in there, picking the currants, blackbirds kept flying in and were most surprised to find me there.  This was on boiling hot days when I needed shade and wanted to get the fruit the birds had missed.  I always share the fruit with the birds. There's enough for us all, on a good year that is! 

3759allen

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2014, 20:17 »
i cut mine back a bit last year to try and tame them a bit, however this made them go absolutely mad and they grew to about 3 times the size with loads of tasty fruit.

i think if you cut back now they will soon recover with fresher growth next summer.

Kevin67

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2014, 20:25 »
Thanks for the tips. :D

smiley
Cutting back a rampant blackberry

Started by Martin Ellis on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 03, 2020, 01:53
by CHRISDONOHUE
xx
how to prune blackberry bushes?

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 18, 2014, 13:38
by 3759allen
xx
Removing Blackberry bushes

Started by Half a plot man on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 13, 2012, 17:57
by Half a plot man
xx
Removing overgrown blackberry bushes

Started by rainie on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 07, 2014, 18:58
by Totty

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 39 queries.