Polytunnel - what do I need to know?

• 15 Replies

phillp

« on: October 15, 2008, 16:03 »
Hi there,
I'm about to purchase a polytunnel - I'm thinking about 14' x 30' or maybe 18' by 30'

I've done some homework, but when I look at the websites selling the things there seem to be more options than you can shake a long stick at - and you can easily double the price!
A great site for playing with the pricing / options is http://www.firsttunnels.co.uk

Any general advice would be welcome, but I'm specifically interested to know:

What sort of poly?
Ground bars or trench?
staging or ground?  Raised beds?
hot spot tape?
extra vents?
Do I need to know anything about the metalwork, or are they all much the same?

We have a greenhouse, the tunnel is mainly to extend the growing season.

Also anyone have experience of any suppliers (good or bad)

Oh and the site is reasonably sheltered, and we're putting it north/south rather than east/west.

agapanthus

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 19:02 »
We got our from highland tunnels....better price!! It was recommended from someone on here (sorry can't remember now who it was :oops:  :oops: ) They were very good and the delivery time was very quick. Still hav'nt had the time to put it up yet though :(

vegmandan

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 21:53 »
I have a 24x14 polytunnel.

I got mine from Northern Polytunnels 8 years ago and still have the original cover on in perfect condition,best thing I've ever ever bought..

I'd definately recommend burying the polythene in a trench as this way it makes the whole structure stronger and you can get the polythene much tighter.

Make sure you get the thickest guage possible steel hoops and don't get them any more than 6 feet apart.

And get one which has straight sides at least 2ft6 - 3ft before the curve starts otherwise you lose so much growing space.

Anti hotspot tape is essential as it protects the polythene from the steel hoops,heat wise and wear wise.

I got Thermal anti fog polythene which holds more heat in at night and the condensation doesn't drip,it runs down the polythene instead.

I made my own doors easily out of 3x2 treated wood as the companies charge an arm and a leg if you buy them off them.

And make sure you get one which has double doors at each end otherwise it will be like an oven in summer

I personally prefer raised beds so you never end up digging too close to the polythene which can slacken it off.

They do get very hot in summer so you can get some with short net vents about 1ft high all around the base but then you can't trench the polythene in.

If you decide what you want and know what spec you require then I'd get Northern Polytunnels to give you a quote.

I couldn't find anyone any cheaper when I was looking. :D

That's about it.

Hope that helps a bit. :lol:

vegmandan

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 22:30 »
WOW !!  :shock:  just had a look at First Tunnels 25x14 with clear cover and anti hotspot tape without doors £534 delivered

Northern Polytunnels 24x14 with the same £395..

And Highland Tunnels as mentioned above 24x14  ...£399

So I would personally give these latter 2 companies your business :lol:

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 03:57 »
Can I just say that with polytunnels you get what you pay for and while it appears to be lots of money the little extras are all worth their weight in gold.

Vegmandan pretty much summed up the "What you need" bit but led readers away with his price recommendations. First Tunnels supply all their tunnels with 2 standard doors in the price and unlike the others, the price quoted is fully inclusive of the dreaded VAT. Also with First Tunnels the hoop spacings are 5 feet apart and make a more robust structure.

I'm still in the first year with mine and it has given me some good results in an otherwise difficult year. Bear in mind though, just like a greenhouse they are not frost free in themselves but do bring forward the spring season by about 6 weeks. Hopefully, it will also extend the autumn by a similar amount.

Before anyone rushes out to get one for the allotment please bear in mind that for most of the year they require daily attention.

Here's mine My polytunnel

Page needs updating but that's a winter job. :roll:

owein

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 10:37 »
Would second all the advice above.

I bought my first polytunnel from first tunnels and have to say it was fantastic I compared prices and did a lot of research and they came out as the best value for me. As stated above you get a few extras (like doors) without paying extra. I also bough a ventilated ridge bar with mine which seemed to help with the ventilation.

My second one was bought on Ebay, worth a look as a frame for a 54 x 18ft tunnel only cost me £28! and doors can easily be made up, and plastic bought (cost me about £100 to cover)

I would definately recomend trenching the plastic, it makes it very secure.

Do consider watering, and how you are going to do it - it warm sunny weather you need a lot of it.

vegmandan

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 13:12 »
The price I quoted for "First Tunnels" was without doors,It would have actually been £574 with just small single doors added.

You can specify this in your quote and £40 is taken off the price if you dont want to buy their doors.

So the doors aren't in effect free they are £40 as you can remove this price from your quote if not needed.

Why not make your own doors,they are easy and will cost a lot less than £40 to make.

So the prices I have quoted are for virtually identical products WITHOUT Doors,the only difference being that First Tunnels hoops are 5 feet apart and the others 6 feet.

6 feet is the standard spacing for professional agricultural structures so 5 feet spacings are entirely unnecessary.

All prices include VAT and Delivery too ( I added VAT where necessary to make the quotes the TOTAL Payable).

So I'm not misleading anyone with prices,Im simply trying to show the best deal.

agapanthus

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 16:14 »
Owein.....thanks for the pictures!! :)

owein

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 21:37 »
I wasn't even aware they were there! I think grannieannie pointed them out to someone. They are good though so maybe I should take credit :lol:

phillp

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 21:44 »
Thanks for your thoughts.  I will have a look at all the companies mentioned.  I think digging the poly in is they way forward - I can see how it's going to hold the thing in place!
I have been looking on ebay, but unless its close to here and cheap it's not worth the extra effort (for me).
I am currently awaiting word from the local planning people, as I dont want to have to take it down once its installed.....
I'm happy to make doors, but again its about effort vs. savings, and I'm keen to get installed.
I'll keep you posted

garddwr

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 21:49 »
Quote from: "owein"
I wasn't even aware they were there! I think grannieannie pointed them out to someone. They are good though so maybe I should take credit :lol:

What pictures ?

owein

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 21:53 »
The ones in the instructions in the pdf file on this site, click on sheeting instructions at the top of the page

http://www.polytheneone.com/polytunnel_polythene_sterilite_mdf.htm

vegmandan

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 23:43 »
Phillip I've just sent you a personal message RE:Planning.

No Problems. :lol:

phillp

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 17:33 »
Re planning:
As I want to put the tunnel in my field I have to:
1. apply for a change of use for the area I want to turn into a "garden"  £150
2.  apply for permission to erect the poly tunnel in my garden. £75

If I want to use it for commercial growing (and can "prove" this?!) then I do not need to do item 1
If I put it in my existing garden I do not need to do item 1

We live in an area of outstanding natural beauty and special landscape interest, which probably explains their reason for item 2.

I need to re think my plans!

Phill

owein

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 18:00 »
it may be worth speaking to the planning enforcement officer at your local council. I came up against similar criteria when I first wanted to put up a tunnel so I phoned the officer explaining what I wanted to do etc. she was very sympathetic and told me several legal ways around it.

Obviously it depends on your council but as long as it was more than 8 meters away from the house and 20 from the road I was ok.

I also live in a very rural and beautifull location

xx
polytunnel getting it right!

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 23, 2012, 13:38
by arugula
xx
Polytunnel hot bed

Started by indigojac on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 14, 2011, 13:55
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Polytunnel

Started by matthew2riches on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 04, 2009, 09:56
by mumofstig
xx
polytunnel

Started by ToHellWithWeeds! on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 26, 2008, 21:15
by Lee1978

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 36 queries.