Re: URGENT-help please
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 22:40 »
Good advice Hensington !

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 21:12 »
where have you gone :blush:how is she doing. :)keep checking your thread and hope shes ok. pls let us know

Maeve

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2009, 22:39 »
All messages much appreciated-a big thank you to you all.  Henrietta was intubated twice on Thursday and then spent all day Friday at the vet's so our wonderful vet Danny could work on her at intervals.  He even went home at lunchtime to dig up a few worms for her! I think we are very lucky to have someone like him looking after our animals.
Henrietta is much better though she's not out of the woods yet.  She had another "flush" this morning and the crop now seems very much smaller and softer.  She's had lots of water with electrolyte powder in it so although she's not eating properly yet and is thin, she's not dehydrated and shows signs of almost being her normal self.
She pecks about but does not seem to actually eat much.  I gave her plain cooked rice this morning but I'm not sure what else to tempt her with.  She loves corn but the vet thinks that for the moment we should give her only small helpings of very soft food.
Foxy-you mentioned chopped up carrot.  Raw or cooked? 

Maeve

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 22:32 »
Not very good news.  I thought Henrietta was rallying but something else seems to be going on with her.  Yesterday morning at the vet's she started circling -just a few times but enough to concern him that she might have a lesion in her brain.  I have not been able to get her to eat today.  Tried layers pellets soaked in warm water, boiled rice (usually her favourite), earthworms, even a mashed up strawberry as I saw her trying to peck at a little wild strawberry in the garden.  She spent a lot of time today just standing quite still with her head tucked under her wing but also walked about pecking at things but not really eating anything as far as I could see, although she looked quite lively at times.  Then this evening she was very unsteady on her legs and seemed to have difficulty keeping her balance.  She kept crossing her feet as she tried to walk.
I spent a lot of time in the garden today with her.  I wanted her to enjoy the sunshine as I don't think she has much time left.  I feel very sad but also don't want my little girl to suffer.

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 11:01 »
i hope she has a turnaround and perks up, 1 of my horses was seriously ill last year and the vet said he should have been dead as his  vital signs were below what they should be when a horse is dead ??? he had an op plus blood transfusion as  he lost loads of blood, but proved them all wrong, :D hes still with us now and hopefully will be for a long time :) you knever know ive had 2 horses poorly  who both proved the vets wrong :tongue2: good look with her let us know how she goes

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2009, 13:03 »
oh maeve,
big hugs

Maeve

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 22:49 »
Henrietta is till with us.  Her crop seems normal but she's still unsteady on her pins and occasionally looks a little disoriented.  She drifts off from time to time.  Not good signs  but she's a survivor so I'm not giving up on her.  She pecks about but I can't see that she's actually eating much and she really needs to do so as she's quite weak.  Will keep you informed.  A big thank you for all your messages.

Maeve

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2009, 22:37 »
Our vet said the crop was normal yesterday but now I'm really not so sure.  It still feels hard and hot and about the size of a small egg - as it did a week ago.  She's drinking lots of water but I can't get her to eat.  I have syringed some liquid into her mouth today (water in which layers pellets had been  soaked) but otherwise she's not eaten.  She looks lively for a few minutes at a time but spends a lot of time standing quite still with her eyes closed.  She's very thin.  I regret now I did not let her have surgery last week.  Sorry Foxy-should have listened to you.  I think we are going to lose her in the next few days.  Perhaps at this stage we don't have anything to lose by trying to open the crop ourselves.

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 23:15 »
Any news maeve?x

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 23:33 »
Don't let her suffer any longer Maeve. 

She sounds in a very poor condition and probably not strong enough now to take an operation  :(

Maeve

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2009, 22:55 »
Henrietta had her crop excised this afternoon at the Royal Veterinary Hospital.  It's a long shot as her crop was very impacted and apparently had turned "sour"..  What seemed to be an entire handful of very smelly grass and corn was removed under local anaesthetic. She's also very weak as she hasn't eaten and may not be able to fight infection despite the antibiotic she's been given.  It is possible that the impaction was caused by a long-standing problem in her crop which has only just manifested itself so  it could recur. 
I'm not going to think of all the things that can go wrong now.  She survived this afternoon and who knows, may yet pull through.  I feel we have done everything we can for our little bird.
Thank you for all the good wishes and please keep those fingers crossed a while longer. 

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2009, 23:00 »
Hope she turns the corner and returns to health quickly.

Will keep my fingers crossed for her.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2009, 23:08 »
I've got me wings crossed for her  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2009, 23:14 »
hope she's ok and thinking of you xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

Stree

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2009, 00:20 »
I hope she  recovers, sounds like she has had a rough time of it and only your care has kept her going so far.........
Best wishes....

xx
URGENT!

Started by Chicken_Lover on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 05, 2013, 11:55
by Chicken_Lover
xx
URGENT help..please

Started by babe on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post April 22, 2008, 20:43
by smiler43
clip
urgent what should i do!!

Started by traacyken on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 01, 2014, 23:10
by splash101
xx
HELP please urgent

Started by slowef on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 12, 2007, 22:17
by agapanthus

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 33 queries.