Ahh 2000 hens rescued

• 44 Replies

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Ahh 2000 hens rescued
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 14:41 »
Quote from: "peggyprice"
Quote from: "ck2day"
I'm sure they won't mind slumming it whilst you dash out to Debenhams and buy them all 15 tog quilts, not forgetting the matching quilt covers and pillow cases  :lol:  :lol:

my god i'm starting to sound like babe, they'll be after swings and paddling pools next!!! :shock:  :shock:

Yes, but Babe would insist on pink glittery ones.  Whether duvets or paddling pools  :wink:  :lol:  :wink:

and i'll have you know that like terence they have sponge bob square pants duvets... so nah nah nah nah nah  :wink:

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
Ahh 2000 hens rescued
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 14:47 »
woho just spoke to convent girl meeting her bout 3.30 to get my girls.
 am so happy
pink glittery duvets i cant quite manage but maybe and old tellytubby one??? :oops:
will post pics as soon as ive found my camara (rumaging round now)and got the blessed things uploaded.

still aint told hubby we got new chooks  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

mind you he wont notice as he rarely goes to field....... might notice extra eggies in a few weeks tho........ blame those faries 8)

ck2day

• Experienced Member
Ahh 2000 hens rescued
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 14:54 »
Quote from: "babe"

my god i'm starting to sound like babe

you say that like its a bad thing  :roll:  :lol:  :lol:  i have feelings ya know  :D

we know ya do and luv ya really  :lol:  :lol:

Will post some pics of my new girls and the new chicks that arrived at the weekend also

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Ahh 2000 hens rescued
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 15:22 »

Will post some pics of my new girls and the new chicks that arrived at the weekend also

you mean you've had them since the wekend and its now wednesday and still no pictures  :shock:

ck2day

• Experienced Member
Ahh 2000 hens rescued
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2008, 15:26 »
Babe, I have put a piccie of them on but they were literally hours old at the time and I didn't want to bother mum too much.  here is the link

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=17991

Will post some more pics hopefully this evening

Claire

deneview

Ahh 2000 hens rescued
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 13:59 »
why would people want ex battery chickens? perhaps i could understand it if they were adopted by vegans as a sentimental gesture? but these yr olds were destined for good use in the animal feed/processed food industry. the reason they are cleared out is that they are uneconomic to keep a further yr.
as an omnivore i cant understand the sentimentality- anyone explain?

compostqueen

Ahh 2000 hens rescued
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 14:23 »
To be honest, just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean you don't understand it. I think you understand it perfectly. What is there to not understand?

I don't mean to be critical of you in any way, that's just what I think  :D

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
Ahh 2000 hens rescued
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2008, 14:34 »
excuseeeeeeeeeeeeeee me
 i wanted my ex batts as they are treated badly and will still lay very well for years to come so to give them a good  home with lots of fresh food and fresh air and the chance to 'be' chickens.

sorry dont want to make this personal but tbh i am getting a bit fed up
with folks coming into a chicken lovers forum and posting things  made to make our blood pressure rise! :oops:
i havent been here so very long but it was  so friendly when i joined all good helpfull stuff.

off my soap box now  (sorry folks) :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Ahh 2000 hens rescued
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2008, 16:03 »
Quote from: "deneview"
why would people want ex battery chickens? perhaps i could understand it if they were adopted by vegans as a sentimental gesture? but these yr olds were destined for good use in the animal feed/processed food industry. the reason they are cleared out is that they are uneconomic to keep a further yr.
as an omnivore i cant understand the sentimentality- anyone explain?

Easy I'm not sentimental but them chooks get a rough deal  :evil:

but by showing compassion thats what lifts man above the animal. Giving a few a better life don't hurt no one, in fact probably enriches quite a few peoples lives too

Each to their own deneview  

:D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Ahh 2000 hens rescued
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2008, 16:24 »
Quote from: "nettynoodles1"

sorry dont want to make this personal but tbh i am getting a bit fed up
with folks coming into a chicken lovers forum and posting things  made to make our blood pressure rise! :oops:
i havent been here so very long but it was  so friendly when i joined all good helpfull stuff.

off my soap box now  (sorry folks) :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

im with you netty, its been a nasty couple of days in here and i dont like it either.

hopefully it will pass, please dont let the minority get to you.  :)

deneview

Ahh 2000 hens rescued
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2008, 16:34 »
not trying to be controversial , and i myself do not agree with battery farming, but  i was saying i cant understand the reason for 'adopting' ex batts.
whilst i do not go a purchase battery eggs, no doubt they will be in all manner of foods that i consume, and the chickens after 1yr are prob in tins or packets of soup/stock cubes or dog feed.
are the ex batts free or do you have to purchase them??

ck2day

• Experienced Member
Ahh 2000 hens rescued
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2008, 16:39 »
I paid 50p for them (plus a donation) to the Battery Hen Welfare Trust and last nights little troop cost me a measly £1 each.  Not much to pay when you think the eldest of my exbatts I have had for 2 years next month and she is still laying!

Did you perhaps think adopting them we did the same as you can when adopting a tiger or an elephant?  

Claire

deneview

Ahh 2000 hens rescued
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2008, 16:46 »
£1 each is great - i have a farmer friend with 32,000 free range hens to clear at 1yr old-
 i think he gets 10p each for them.

woodburner

Ahh 2000 hens rescued
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2008, 18:08 »
Quote from: "deneview"
£1 each is great - i have a farmer friend with 32,000 free range hens to clear at 1yr old-
 i think he gets 10p each for them.

A local farmer here can't get enough for his old birds to cover the cost of transport, so IMHO anyone paying the farmer anything for his old hens is actually encouraging battery farming by making it more profitable.

Add to that the fact that the birds are so used to their sedentary existence that the shock of moving (as witness a post in this very thread!) or the stress of adapting to a new lifestyle no matter how good, is often enough to kill them.

Then add to that the fact that the 'rescued' chickens have run the full term of their imprisonment. It's hardly rescue when they've already done maximum time. :x

My advice to anyone who is against battery farming is to get young birds with their best laying years ahead of them, and give them a good life from day one. After all, the more eggs they supply, the fewer will be bought from industrial suppliers.

Edit: Just deleted second italicised "anything". Was meant to be cut but I must have copied by mistake, and it got left there.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
    • www.funkychickengifts.com
Ahh 2000 hens rescued
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2008, 18:42 »
Is it so bad to do a good turn in ones very short life, no matter how small,

I look at it as Karma, what you put into this life will surely determine your time here on earth next time around, personally I don't want to come back as a slug and be eaten by a chicken  :shock:  and anyway it makes you feel all fluffy  and warm inside to know that you have saved a life :wink: , not done it myself but the UTMOST respect for all you ex-bat rescuers and hopefully I'll be able to join you soon in the quest to give chickens a better quality of life :) AMEN AND HALLLEHLUULA TO THAT!!!  :lol:  :lol: even if I am a pagan the christian peeps have such a great way with words :wink:
Katt

clip
rescued hens

Started by samuria on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post December 05, 2015, 09:00
by samuria
xx
Rescued hens.

Started by becky on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post January 20, 2007, 23:27
by Aunt Sally
xx
RESCUED HENS

Started by desandchez on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 07, 2008, 21:02
by kentishlad
xx
Anyone rescued battery hens?

Started by beki on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post February 22, 2008, 19:11
by Wildeone

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 34 queries.